I applied to 9 schools, and got accepted to 2 so far! I'm so excited, but now I have no idea what to do! I got into CSU Chico, and UOP, and I have yet to hear from 6 other schools. I have to accept UOP by April 1 and Chico by April 15. I was wondering if anyone could give me some information on the programs at Chico and UOP to help me decide which one to go to, or if I should wait to hear from the other schools. I'm leaning toward UOP, but idk how the 15 month program is, it's also really expensive. 

Thank you all so much for your help!!!

Edited by excited2BanSLP2B

How comfortable are you losing a deposit? You don't want to let the deadlines pass only to get wait listed or rejected from the rest of your schools. (I 'm not saying pay the deposit now but by the deadline if you don't hear.) It's not uncommon or even rude to pull out of a grad school "commitment" after you pay a deposit. Schools actually expect it (this from someone on the admissions committee at my post bacc school). They know some schools notify later and that funding decisions change people's plans. You just need to know if you are comfortable losing that money. 

17 hours ago, excited2BanSLP2B said:

I applied to 9 schools, and got accepted to 2 so far! I'm so excited, but now I have no idea what to do! I got into CSU Chico, and UOP, and I have yet to hear from 6 other schools. I have to accept UOP by April 1 and Chico by April 15. I was wondering if anyone could give me some information on the programs at Chico and UOP to help me decide which one to go to, or if I should wait to hear from the other schools. I'm leaning toward UOP, but idk how the 15 month program is, it's also really expensive. 

This is out of topic, but when did you hear from CSU Chico?

My status have not been changed(according to the portal, my application is still being reviewed), and also didnt get a rejection or waitlist email.

I have emailed them about 2 weeks ago, so I am worried if I will bother them by sending email again :( 

5 hours ago, hanaidn said:

My status have not been changed(according to the portal, my application is still being reviewed), and also didnt get a rejection or waitlist email.

I have emailed them about 2 weeks ago, so I am worried if I will bother them by sending email again :( 

I attend Chico State and, from what I understood, all of the acceptances were sent out by Friday. I don't think you emailing her again will sway her opinion about you. If you decide to email, just know that we are currently on spring break right now so you may not here back until Monday.

Edited by slpdee

22 hours ago, excited2BanSLP2B said:

Chico State has a beautiful campus and of the two it's obviously cheaper. They have a clinic on campus; it's not as beautiful as UofP but you really do get a mix children and adult populations if you're interested in that. I've heard that you have to find your externships on your own, but the faculty is very helpful so I'm sure they can guide you. I know that it's hard and rare to get an externship in the medical setting. You have to apply for this position and do an interview, competing with several others (At least that's how it was two years ago). As far as teachers go, I know that the seniors this year have been flopped around a bit with sub faculty members that they weren't too pleased about. You get a mix of really stellar teachers and some not so stellar ones.  At the end of the day though, the majority are helpful and understanding. Honestly, I would wait until you are closer to the deadline before you worry too much about which to choose from. You may still get accepted to more! Most acceptances come around this week and next. U of Pacific is an amazing school, but you're right it's very expensive. This is even if you factor in being able to start working earlier. I will say I didn't apply to Chico State and I know plenty of others that didn't. DM if you have any other questions!

Edited by slpdee

17 hours ago, Kslptobe said:

Where else did you apply?

Arizona State, University of Nevada Reno, CSU Sacramento, and Fullerton (I think there's more, but those are the only ones I would consider with UOP and Chico).

4 hours ago, hanaidn said:

I had an interview in February and got an email last Thursday.

15 hours ago, NorcalSLP said:

How comfortable are you losing a deposit? You don't want to let the deadlines pass only to get wait listed or rejected from the rest of your schools. (I 'm not saying pay the deposit now but by the deadline if you don't hear.) It's not uncommon or even rude to pull out of a grad school "commitment" after you pay a deposit. Schools actually expect it (this from someone on the admissions committee at my post bacc school). They know some schools notify later and that funding decisions change people's plans. You just need to know if you are comfortable losing that money. 

I'd rather not lose the deposit, but I will if I have to. I've accepted the fact that I'm going to be thousands in debt. Now I'm trying to decide which program is best for me without thinking about the money too much.

23 minutes ago, slpdee said:

Chico State has a beautiful campus and of the two I would say that it's cheaper. They have a clinic on campus; it's not the as beautiful as UofP but you really do get a mix children and adult populations if you're interested in that. I've heard that you have to find your externships on your own, but the faculty is very helpful so I'm sure they can guide you. I know that it's hard and rare to get an externship in the medical setting. You have to apply for this position and do an interview, competing with several others (At least that's how it was two years ago). As far as teachers go, I know that the seniors this year have been flopped around a bit with sub faculty members that they weren't too pleased about. You get a mix of really stellar teachers and some not so stellar ones.  At the end of the day though, the majority are helpful and understanding. Honestly, I would wait until you are closer to the deadline before you worry too much about which to choose from. You may still get accepted to more! Most acceptances come around this week and next. U of Pacific is an amazing school, but you're right it's very expensive. This is even if you factor in being able to start working earlier. I will say I didn't apply to Chico State and I know that plenty of others that didn't. DM if you have any other questions!

Thank you so much!! This is super helpful! I'll look into the externships because right now I'm leaning toward going into the medical setting.

I got into Chico as well! I'm waiting to hear from my #1 choice before I respond, but if the deadline nears and acceptances haven't been sent out, I may just accept and then reverse my decision...assuming that's possible.

How's the city of Chico? I'm hoping to visit during my spring break~!

9 hours ago, slpdee said:

I attend Chico State and, from what I understood, all of the acceptances were sent out by Friday. I don't think you emailing her again will sway her opinion about you. If you decide to email, just know that we are currently on spring break right now so you may not here back until Monday.

9 hours ago, excited2BanSLP2B said:

I had an interview in February and got an email last Thursday.

Thanks so much!

Will definitely email them!

On March 14, 2016 at 2:20 PM, excited2BanSLP2B said:

Hi there! I was also accepted to both UOP and Chico. UOP was my top choice so I already paid the deposit. Are you planning on going to the open house on Friday? I would highly recommend it. I go to Sac State, and so far I have heard that decisions will be sent out the first week of April. 

On 3/16/2016 at 6:47 PM, aTinCan said:

I got into Chico as well! I'm waiting to hear from my #1 choice before I respond, but if the deadline nears and acceptances haven't been sent out, I may just accept and then reverse my decision...assuming that's possible.

How's the city of Chico? I'm hoping to visit during my spring break~!

It's a really beautiful campus and I highly recommend you do visit. It's kind of a college town. It's known as a party school, although it isn't as bad, I would say don't live close by campus unless you want to be a part of that atmosphere. The night life is still very active. The downtown area is right next to the campus and has a lot of nice little shops, places to eat and bars. There's also a weekly farmers market. I'd say the best part of Chico is Bidwell Park. It that has a lot of trails and swimming holes that are beautiful and just nice to spend the day. Chico is a really bike friendly town. One thing though is that the crime is low, but the most common problem is bike theft so the joke is buy a cheap bike and expensive lock. I have never met anyone who has gotten their bike stolen, but if you choose to ride your bike to campus. Car parking is very rough. It's difficult to find a space unless you arrive early to campus. I would say overall Chico has a lot to offer and the rent isn't too terrible either. A lot of leases end in May/June, so I would look then.