Things grad applicants do...

metamorph

Hi everyone,

I took my GRE in November of last year (2015). Late as it was and even after, I found myself keeping certain GRE verbal words in my arsenal. Not for study purpose but just to ... you know flummox and confound a few people (specifically my manager at work). :rolleyes:

Did you guys do this?

Not just for practice purposes. It was so much fun to say stuff like,

"Oh did you see that show last night? I thought Miley Cyrus was so infelicitous!"

• 2 weeks later...

I'm ramping up for another go at the GRE (the old scores expire before I'll be able to use them.)  Definitely look for reasons to use the words.  Reviewing flashcards in line at the grocery store tonight, "parsimonious" came up right as a man in front me was arguing with the cashier over the price of a gallon of milk.  He had the price for the half-gallon.  Took all 5 gallons back to switch them out for half-gallons.  Never had the literal definition of a word walk past me before.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/29/2016 at 1:00 PM, michelle_d said:

I'm ramping up for another go at the GRE (the old scores expire before I'll be able to use them.)  Definitely look for reasons to use the words.  Reviewing flashcards in line at the grocery store tonight, "parsimonious" came up right as a man in front me was arguing with the cashier over the price of a gallon of milk.  He had the price for the half-gallon.  Took all 5 gallons back to switch them out for half-gallons.  Never had the literal definition of a word walk past me before.

Haha! Well, austerity is a good quality!  Not sure if I could be "abstemious" though :)

Oh and good luck on your GRE! 

1 hour ago, fernandes said:

...send the SoP to school A with the school B's name on it.

(just trying to create a trend here)

Inspecting ones own application AFTER submitting it, and finding such a horrendous mistake

2 minutes ago, Mnera said:

Inspecting ones own application AFTER submitting it, and finding such a horrendous mistake

Yep! It's like throwing 100 dollars out :D