NYU 2016

FeelTheBern

The signature says it all! :) Is anyone else planning on accepting their offer to NYU for the Fall 2016 semester?? My SO and I are really, really excited as this was his top choice program! If anyone wants to talk about moving to the city, housing, etc. please feel free to message me or post here, as we can use all the advice we can get before we make the big move!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2016 at 8:14 AM, Ed said:

I am going to go to NYU this fall (Master in Politics)

On 3/26/2016 at 9:18 PM, caribe said:

I'm also going to NYU! International Education :D 

Awesome and congratulations to both of you on your acceptances! When are you guys planning on moving to the city? Do you have a specific date/month that you are going to start checking out apartments? Do you know which neighborhood(s) you want to live in? :)

Edited by FeelTheBern

On 2/4/2016 at 1:09 PM, FeelTheBern said:

Awesome and congratulations to both of you on your acceptances! When are you guys planning on moving to the city? Do you have a specific date/month that you are going to start checking out apartments? Do you know which neighborhood(s) you want to live in? :)

Due to Visa issues (J-1), I will not able able to move to NYC before August 20th. I have heard that Queens is a good place to live (cost, neighborhood, and so on) and not too far from NYU. I certainly know that living in Manhattan is impossible unless you get on-campus housing. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, lindsey_elizabeth said:

I'm not going to NYU or moving to NYC but just want to say I love your photo and username! #feelingthebernonthewestcoast

Thank you! :) Bernie supporters are so awesome and nice! Please make sure to get out and vote for him in California, a win in that state would be YUGE (as Bernie would say)!

Also, on a side note, your program of study sounds really interesting...International Development. I haven't met anyone in that particular field before! In my current job, I work at a university with international students as the I-20 Program Coordinator. I would like to eventually become a recruiter or an International Student Advisor because I really love the work I do now! International development sounds really cool though! Keep feeling and spreading the bern!

Edited by FeelTheBern

On April 16, 2016 at 8:48 PM, FeelTheBern said:

Thank you! :) Bernie supporters are so awesome and nice! Please make sure to get out and vote for him in California, a win in that state would be YUGE (as Bernie would say)!

Also, on a side note, your program of study sounds really interesting...International Development. I haven't met anyone in that particular field before! In my current job, I work at a university with international students as the I-20 Program Coordinator. I would like to eventually become a recruiter or an International Student Advisor because I really love the work I do now! International development sounds really cool though! Keep feeling and spreading the bern!

I'll definitely be voting for him in June, don't worry! I went to his rally here last August, when 27,000 people showed up, and his supporters are the best. I've been spreading the word over here too. Mainly cornering people at parties (not literally) and asking them if they're feeling the bern. Ha. I actually know a ton of people here who are Bernie supporters. Granted it's LA so pretty liberal but still good news.

What does an I-20 Program Coordinator do? I was considering international education for a while, which can lead to a job in study abroad or work with international students at a university. I think being a recruiter or international student advisor would be great! Every field within international development sounds interesting so I'm still figuring out exactly what I want to do with my degree. I'm leaning towards a second master's degree in public policy but international education has crossed my mind again too.

@lindsey_elizabeth at the university I work at, the I-20 Coordinator issues all of the I-20s for F-1 students (degree-seeking students coming from countries around the world to study at a US institution). The I-20 document is basically their ticket to get an interview at a US Consulate in their home country. By issuing them an I-20, it means that our office has determined that they have been accepted to the university and that they have sufficient funds to study in the United States. However, even after we have issued this document for them, the Consular Officer could still deny their visa based on whether or not they believe the student has plans to return to their home country or other inklings, but mostly a student will get denied if it seems like they have ulterior motives besides schooling for coming to the US. It's a really fun job because I get to talk with and meet people from countries around the world! NYU has SO many international students, I would love to work in their office! *crossing my fingers that there may be an opening this summer!

Btw...if you get an MPP and if you are interested in international stuff, you would be a great candidate for a position as a Foreign Service Officer thru the US State Department! That was my dream for like a year, but in the end, I decided it would be best for my SO and I, and our future kids to not have to move to a new country every two years! :) If you are into traveling and don't have kids yet, it is a really amazing opportunity!

That sounds really interesting! I'll be heading to Edinburgh in the fall so I'm about to be dealing with visa stuff myself. I bet it can get pretty stressful if you're working with someone who's already accepted their offer of admission but is having trouble getting their visa approved. Does that happen very often in the US? I'll cross my fingers for an opening at the NYU office for you too!

My cousin and her husband are actually Foreign Service Officers. They spent the past two years in Honduras and are headed to Australia next. They have two young kids (one is still a baby), so it's possible to do it with a family, but it's definitely not for everyone. I think it really only works if your partner agrees to give up their professional life completely or is also a Foreign Service Officer. My boyfriend and I don't have kids yet but we probably will in the next five years or so. I love traveling, and it's definitely an amazing opportunity, but I'm not sure moving our family and dog every two years is going to be our thing either.

Edited by lindsey_elizabeth

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How is everyone doing on the housing search? I'm a little stressed about it, to be honest. I'll be attending straight out of undergrad and haven't really had more than a part time job for the last year or so, so I don't have much in the way of income besides some savings. I believe I'll be getting a fin. aid refund to pay for living expenses including rent etc, but can I convince a potential landlord to accept that (perhaps I can get a letter or something from the financial aid office) in lieu of the six figure income all of these places require? Any tips? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2016 at 1:23 AM, caribe said:

How is everyone doing on the housing search? I'm a little stressed about it, to be honest. I'll be attending straight out of undergrad and haven't really had more than a part time job for the last year or so, so I don't have much in the way of income besides some savings. I believe I'll be getting a fin. aid refund to pay for living expenses including rent etc, but can I convince a potential landlord to accept that (perhaps I can get a letter or something from the financial aid office) in lieu of the six figure income all of these places require? Any tips? 

Hey @caribe! My boyfriend and I are having a pretty difficult time as well. If you want to be on a lease, it sounds like you are going to need a guarantor. Unfortunately, most landlords in NYC require pay stubs and a W-2 from a current job that shows that you make 40 times the rent. I believe guarantors are required to make 60 times the rent.

At this point, my boyfriend and I are just trying to find a room to rent where we are not required to be on the lease. We don't have a guarantor and even though we will be making 40 times the rent between the both of our salaries, landlords won't accept us unless we show them pay stubs and W-2s, which we do not have yet because I am starting my job in July and my boyfriend is starting in September. Frustrating...but hopefully after the first year we will be able to have our own place and a lease. NYC apartment hunting is so stressful!! :wacko:

TL;DR: I would recommend renting a room from someone who does not require you to be on the lease for your first year. Although it isn't ideal, if you aren't going to be making a decent salary and you don't have a guarantor, I'm not sure you would be approved to rent your own apartment and be on the lease. Also check out the NYU Housing Registry site! There are some great places on there and a lot of them are month to month, so you wouldn't need to worry about dealing with the landlord, just the person renting out the room.

Edited by FeelTheBern

• 1 month later...

Hello  @caribe I hope all is well !

I was reading through the posts to check if ever anyone tried to find a place near NYU, I am wondering if you found a place or not ? I am also looking for a place and maybe roommate. Could you please give me tips about it ! Thnx!