Can a bad quantitative GRE score kill an application?

baysbar94

I'm applying to several MA programs in Political Science, including one or two prestigious ones (I didn't do enough research in undergrad and did not feel comfortable applying straight to Ph.D programs.)

My GRE score was 161-V; 152-Q: 4.5-W. My undergraduate GPA was a 3.8.

I understand the quantitative GRE score is low (indeed, it's the 48th percentile). But considering a high GPA, a good verbal score, and good letters of recommendations, how much will it matter? 

(I also think my SOP was fine, but this is an MA program, so I'm not sure if that's given much weight)

I got into a top 10 program at a quant score similar to yours and a lower verbal score, slightly lower GPA (and this is for a PhD program). That being said, I had great LORs, competitive CV, research and activist experience etc. If you want more info send me a message. I would say that you should probably get a higher quant but depending on your experiences I'd say don't give up. 

Well, it is not clear whether you have a problem with the program as it is MA or your query is regarding admission criteria. Assuming that it is regarding both; foremost don’t worry even if it is an MA but since you want to progress into research, make sure it has enough research modules & a thesis at the end. The best will be to connect up with the faculty or program director & discuss your career goal so that the person can guide you on whether the program is suited to your needs or not.

As far as admission is concerned, remember all colleges take a holistic view of the applications so just having a low quant score does not matter. Work on other part of your application & strengthen them. In fact the university may recommend you to clear certain math courses along with your MA.