As an undergraduate student entering my senior year, I have an unfortunate amount of questions regarding the application process for doctoral programs in English literature. Having written extensively on Joyce's Ulysses, I'm primarily interested in the relationship between narrative theory and postcolonial studies, with an emphasis on 20th century modernism. So, then, does anyone know of some top tier doctoral programs known for research in postcolonialism, narratology, and/or modernism? I'm also interested in American postmodern literature—e.g. Thomas Pynchon, Don DeLillo, and David Foster Wallace—but haven't come into contact with many reputable programs renown for that mode of contemporary scholarship, so guidance there would certainly help, too.

On a semi-unrelated note, I'm also curious if those of you who have been accepted to top tier (or second-tier) programs 1) applied in the fall prior to graduation, 2) applied in the fall following graduation, 3) applied during an MA program, or 4) applied following the completion of an MA program. 

Any response to these questions and concerns would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

Edited by Muhldog

I think Emory and UC-Irvine have strong programs for postcolonialism but I can't remember for sure.

As for David Foster Wallace, Texas has been proposed as a strong choice since they have his archive there. There's also Maryland, who has Lee Konstantinou, and Missouri, who has Samuel Cohen. Those two edited The Legacy of David Foster Wallace. Ohio State has a professor who's written a good amount about Pynchon. 

I hope this is at least somewhat helpful haha.

I don't have a ton of time right now to respond, but my "gut" advice is that you need to figure these things out for yourself. Look at the top 50 programs on either the NRC or US News rankings, and pick out a few schools with faculty that you would want to work with by reading their profiles, then following up with an article or book chapter or two. I think it's important you do this on your own as this will help your applications to these schools, and, further, help you figure out your own interests. IMO, Rutgers might be a good fit (my own program, in all honesty), but I don't know you well enough to say whether or not it is appropriate. Best of luck to you!

8 hours ago, echo449 said:

I don't have a ton of time right now to respond, but my "gut" advice is that you need to figure these things out for yourself. Look at the top 50 programs on either the NRC or US News rankings, and pick out a few schools with faculty that you would want to work with by reading their profiles, then following up with an article or book chapter or two. I think it's important you do this on your own as this will help your applications to these schools, and, further, help you figure out your own interests. IMO, Rutgers might be a good fit (my own program, in all honesty), but I don't know you well enough to say whether or not it is appropriate. Best of luck to you!

Wonderful advice. If you need other ideas about where to look, go through the last couple years of a journal/conference in your field. Who's doing research you like? Where do they work? 

Good luck!