[Master's in Statistics] Help Decision Please!

Hi all,

I am gratefully admitted to multiple master's programs in statistics. Now that I began to evaluate each school, I think it's for the best to get some advice/help from you guys. 

So I got an acceptance from: (so far)

UC Berkeley

UIUC

University of Michigan, Ann Arbor

Georgia Institute of Technology

Rice University

I am interested in applied statistics, i.e. statistical machine learning(lil bit of comp sci and OR) and maybe data science (but not so much), and all programs are unfunded. 

But money is not really a problem. I am looking into working in game industry afterwards, but I may wish to pursue a doctoral degree in the long run, probably after working for years. 

Which school seems the best for you and why? (not solely based on rankings!) I would appreciate any of current/prospective students' advice :DD

Thank you, and have a great day!

Berkeley and Michigan are, by quite a ways, the most prestigious departments on your list. Like virtually all top-tier stat departments, they are more known for their contributions in theory/methods than in application, but they are both quite strong in machine learning. Unless there is something particularly attractive about the specific programs (or faculty) at the other three places, I would choose between those two.

Edited by cyberwulf

Thank you both for your input :D

I am certainly leaning toward Berkeley for its location (proximity to Silicon Valley and weather!). However, I would want to compare pros and cons of attending UC Berkeley for more objectivity. I believe one of the cons (or a pro, depending on your perspective) is that its master's program is a 1-year program. I am a little worried if I could be fully prepared to find a skilled position at such companies as Google, Apple, or Facebook especially because I have little statistical background (I was a mathematics major in undergraduate). Also, I think, but with little foundation, that it would be disadvantageous to complete my master's degree in one year if I decide to apply for a Ph.D. 

Are my concerns valid? Is there any other cons that I should consider before choosing Berkeley?