Choosing between 2 counseling Master's programs

kaybee8

Hello all--

I’m choosing between two counseling Master’s programs.  One is accredited by CACREP (Boston University) and one is not (University of Miami).  Both have offered generous funding, so now I’m trying to weigh the pros and cons of each.

BU pros:
CACREP accreditation makes it easier to transfer licensure between states later on
CACREP accreditation makes it possible to work at the VA, something I’m potentially interested in doing
The program is the only one of its kind within a medical school, so clinical opportunities and training are unique and appeal to my background in science.

BU cons:
Boston is a really expensive place to live
Though I’m from the north, I really really hate winter.  I’m a happier person in sun and warmth.

Miami pros:
I get along with the director of the program extremely well
The program addresses multicultural aspects of counseling and there is an opportunity to do a certificate in Latino mental health (I am fluent in Spanish)
The cultural aspects of Miami/Coral Gables are interesting to me
The weather is nice and the campus is beautiful

Miami cons:
Lack of accreditation (I worry that I would have an awesome time there for 2 years and then regret not going to a CACREP accredited program)

There is also a possibility to complete the certificate at UM separate from the Master’s degree program, ie: I could hypothetically attend BU and then complete the certificate in a summer.

I’m afraid of making the wrong choice and regretting it later in my career.  Any help or perspective would be appreciated!

Edited by kaybee8

I think you answered your own question—you know how important accreditation is. I'm from the north too, did undergrad here, and was offered a non CACREP master's program (also in the north) after not being accepted to the PhD. I turned it down. I would've HATED living here for 2 more winters, but I would've sucked it up because I know that it would be a complete waste of time to do a non accredited program if I wanted to use that degree to practice and move out of state. 2 years now is nothing in the grand scheme of your life, although Boston IS expensive. The BU program sounds amazing, though.