Postgraduate program in Behavioral Economics or Health Economics

Dina1987

Question

Hi guys,

For some time I have been reflecting on my decision to apply for a postgraduate degree. I have a MSc in Management & Policy Analysis (Holland) and I have been a visiting scholar in Epidemiology at University of Cambridge. At the end of the studies I worked in development (World Bank) and public health ( ECPC), focusing on monitoring &evaluation of behavioral interventions in health care. As I would like to move forward I realize I need to hone my skills in quantitative analysis, preferably in econ, and in behavioral science. Given that there are no behavioral economics programs in the US (I am considering US, as I may get financed) I was thinking that may be my best shot is in health economics and try to combine it with courses in behavioral science. Another option would be to apply for a program in management or economics.  For the latter I don t think I have high chances of getting in. Overall, my interest is to design and evaluate behavioral change interventions preferably in health care. I would very much appreciate your advice on steps I should take, questions I should ask myself, general opinion on career prospect, programs I should consider, general experience in such programs.

2 answers to this question

Are you sure there are no behavioral economics programs in the U.S.? There might not be any PhD programs that are explicitly called behavioral economics, but the field is very much a Thing in the U.S. and you could probably study it in either an economics or psychology department or a department in a related field (like business). I know that there were some behavioral economists in the business school (mainly management) and the psychology department at my graduate university, Columbia.

However, if you want to design behavioral change interventions in health care, a health program might suit you better. Take a look at PhD programs in health services research and health policy and management. A PhD in epidemiology or health behavior and health education may also suit your needs, depending on the kinds of interventions you want to design.

Thank you Juillet. Your comments are very useful. I was aware there is no specific field so called "behavioral economics" and that's why I found it very difficult to choose. At this point I think it makes a lot of sense to try both Health Economics/ Policy & Management or Management (Business School). I guess the next thing would be to identify the Universities and the professors I may want to work with. Would you have any advice on this? I already have couple of researchers in mind but would be great to hear a second opinion