Montclair State University Accepted Students

I haven't seen a thread started about Montclair so I figured I would make one. Has anyone decided to attend Montclair yet? I haven't sent in my deposit yet but I'm almost 100% sure I'll be attending.

Also, has anyone seen/made a facebook group yet?

I'm 99% sure I'll be attending Montclair! :) I plan on handing in my deposit after I take the tour on April 1st. I haven't seen a facebook page either, but I'll totally join if someone makes one!

21 minutes ago, slp594 said:

I'm 99% sure I'll be attending Montclair! :) I plan on handing in my deposit after I take the tour on April 1st. I haven't seen a facebook page either, but I'll totally join if someone makes one!

I'll also be touring April 1st! Do you think we can give them the deposit that day or should we mail it?

She told me that I would actually have to bring my deposit to The Graduate School on the main campus, so I'm just going to drive over there after the tour! It does make me a bit anxious that it's so last minute though.. I don't even have the letter with me because it was mailed to my home address, so I would have to mail it or hand it to them on April 1st when I go home.

@slp594 Yeah I'm getting anxious not being locked in yet so I think I want to go home and get my letter this week so I can send my deposit in. Have you heard anything about funding (besides the 6 GA spots)? I haven't heard anything about Montclair giving scholarships but it would be nice if they did..

Yeah, I don't blame you! I wish I could do that. I'd definitely get your deposit in as soon as you can! I know that they have a very limited number of GA positions, and I haven't heard anything about scholarships. I think we should be hearing about interviews for GA positions in the next few weeks. Maybe interviews will occur throughout the summer? I'm just so relieved about the in-state tuition!

12 minutes ago, slp594 said:

Yeah, I don't blame you! I wish I could do that. I'd definitely get your deposit in as soon as you can! I know that they have a very limited number of GA positions, and I haven't heard anything about scholarships. I think we should be hearing about interviews for GA positions in the next few weeks. Maybe interviews will occur throughout the summer? I'm just so relieved about the in-state tuition!

Do you think it matters how soon you get the deposit in?

@slp594 Yeah I thought the 21 days from the letter date was a little soon since the rest of my accepted schools have all said April 15th. I guess I'm ready to make my decision anyway it just feels so scary finally being locked into a program!

Hey guys!

Chances are I'll be making a deposit and attending, unless I get off the waitlist for my other schools. Is there a facebook group for Montclair yet? And is anyone attending the April 1st open house? I was abroad for the first one. Let me know if you'd like to meet up if you're going to that one :) It'd be great to know people in the program before it starts.

27 minutes ago, rzilby said:

Hey guys!

Chances are I'll be making a deposit and attending, unless I get off the waitlist for my other schools. Is there a facebook group for Montclair yet? And is anyone attending the April 1st open house? I was abroad for the first one. Let me know if you'd like to meet up if you're going to that one :) It'd be great to know people in the program before it starts.

I haven't seen a group! If you want to make one I would be happy to join it (I tried and realized I didn't know how :huh:). I'll also be touring on April 1st!

3 hours ago, SpeechieM said:

I haven't seen a group! If you want to make one I would be happy to join it (I tried and realized I didn't know how :huh:). I'll also be touring on April 1st!

I actually have no idea how either. I could have sworn earlier that I did see a page in the results section, but I don't see it anymore. I've been crazy busy so I haven't had time to check between then and now. I tried to search on FB, but didn't get any results. If there is a page, it would be great to have someone post a link here if possible. Or if someone is planning to make one, feel free to add me :)

And I'm looking forward to meeting you guys during the tour! 

So does anyone know what the next steps are? I got my confirmation letter that they received my deposit and it said the same thing as the acceptance letter about looking at the Montclair website for information about what to do next but I don't see much info

On 3/31/2016 at 10:01 PM, SpeechieM said:

So does anyone know what the next steps are? I got my confirmation letter that they received my deposit and it said the same thing as the acceptance letter about looking at the Montclair website for information about what to do next but I don't see much info

I actually got back from the accepted student tour today (not sure if I met anyone from here lol, but if I did, hey there :) ).. I haven't sent my deposit in yet, but I probably will on Monday. I completely forgot to do it while at the campus.

I checked the online portal, but nothing there has changed for me at all, so I'm not sure where to look for more info. I'm going to e-mail them regarding prerequisites I'm currently taking, so I'll ask about the next steps as well and let everyone know what I hear back.

On a different note, a lot of people said they'd be commuting to the program, and only like 4 people had to move by the campus. I live about 1.5 hours away, give or take depending on traffic, but I'm not too familiar with the area. Does anyone happen to know reasonably priced housing that will take large dogs (65lbs+)? Commuting just won't be an option if classes are 4-5x a week, and neither is leaving my dog behind. I've been looking around online at a few places, but I was just curious if anyone knew off the top of their heads?

On 4/1/2016 at 7:08 PM, rzilby said:

I actually got back from the accepted student tour today (not sure if I met anyone from here lol, but if I did, hey there :) ).. I haven't sent my deposit in yet, but I probably will on Monday. I completely forgot to do it while at the campus.

I checked the online portal, but nothing there has changed for me at all, so I'm not sure where to look for more info. I'm going to e-mail them regarding prerequisites I'm currently taking, so I'll ask about the next steps as well and let everyone know what I hear back.

On a different note, a lot of people said they'd be commuting to the program, and only like 4 people had to move by the campus. I live about 1.5 hours away, give or take depending on traffic, but I'm not too familiar with the area. Does anyone happen to know reasonably priced housing that will take large dogs (65lbs+)? Commuting just won't be an option if classes are 4-5x a week, and neither is leaving my dog behind. I've been looking around online at a few places, but I was just curious if anyone knew off the top of their heads?

I was at the tour too!

I will also be moving to the Montclair area instead of commuting. My house is about an hour from the campus but I think commuting would drive me crazy. I can't really provide any info on housing but I've also been struggling to find apartments in the area that are reasonably priced.. many are over 2k/month for a 2 bedroom. Montclair is so expensive :( 

@rzilby @slp594 I'm going to try to make the facebook group but I think I need to have at least more than one person to add to make it. If you guys want to private message me a link to your facebook I'll add you so I can try to make the group!

Hi all. I randomly saw this thread on the Recently Updated Topics list. I didn't attend Montclair State but I used to live in the town over from Montclair and can try to answer any questions you have about cost of living and the surrounding towns. You may want to try Clifton (or other Passaic County towns instead of Essex County) for apartments, it's more affordable and a short walk or drive away from MSU.

1 hour ago, Citizen of Night Vale said:

Hi all. I randomly saw this thread on the Recently Updated Topics list. I didn't attend Montclair State but I used to live in the town over from Montclair and can try to answer any questions you have about cost of living and the surrounding towns. You may want to try Clifton (or other Passaic County towns instead of Essex County) for apartments, it's more affordable and a short walk or drive away from MSU.

Are there any areas that surround the Bloomfield Montclair area that we should avoid? I know its fairly close to Newark so I want to make sure I'm not looking in any bad areas

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2016 at 0:36 PM, SpeechieM said:

Hey, thanks for making this!

I actually just got off the waitlist for Syracuse and received a funding offer for 12 credits there. I dont know what to choose. I sent my deposit to Montclair, but I'm realy torn. I don't have time to visit the Syracuse campus. 

Will it make a huge difference in terms of job hunting? I'd feel terrible having my family paying more if it won't really matter. I have 4 days to decide and I'm agonizing over it :(

On 4/21/2016 at 6:12 PM, rzilby said:

I actually just got off the waitlist for Syracuse and received a funding offer for 12 credits there. I dont know what to choose. I sent my deposit to Montclair, but I'm realy torn. I don't have time to visit the Syracuse campus. 

Will it make a huge difference in terms of job hunting? I'd feel terrible having my family paying more if it won't really matter. I have 4 days to decide and I'm agonizing over it :(

Personally, I don't think it will make a difference. Montclair has a great program and they're fully accredited so you will definitely have no problem finding a job! I got into a bunch of other schools, but I'm attending Montclair for financial reasons. The in-state tuition is hard to beat!

On 4/21/2016 at 6:12 PM, rzilby said:

I think it's really up to you. Money has definitely played a huge role in my decision to attend Montclair but I don't feel like I'm settling at all. It's a great school with a fantastic clinic and I don't think any of us will struggle finding a job. I actually got off the waitlist for NYU this week but going from a 40k tuition to 85k isn't justifiable to me so I think I'm going to have to (painfully) reject my offer there and stick with my decision of Montclair.