BU biostatistics

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi folks, I am applying to BU biostatistics program. I recently got my GREs back:

V-540 (72%)

Q-760 (85%)

AW-4.0 (41%)

I have been working as a biostatistician for nearly 2-years now. What do you think of my chances getting into BU? Thanks in advance.

I applied BU biostatistics too.

Do you know anything about "admission statistics" at BU? I can't seem to find anything on the web to see if I am even competitive.

not really. they are very slow in responding to emails. so...whatever...

have u already applied?

• 2 weeks later...

I have applied for the Biostatistics PhD at Boston too. I just get back the admission decision, they recommended me for the MA degree instead, and said that the funding is not available at this time. Do u have any idea, if funding would be available in the future or not?

I have applied for the Biostatistics PhD at Boston too. I just get back the admission decision, they recommended me for the MA degree instead, and said that the funding is not available at this time. Do u have any idea, if funding would be available in the future or not?

Congratulations. I have not heard anything yet. From what I understand funding is competitive at BU. Are you an international student?

Thx for the congrats but if I cant get fund so I wont go :(

yea , I'm an international student from Iran. if u have any information regarding funding at BU I will be more than happy to hear them.

Edited by Soudeh

Thx for the congrats but if I cant get fund so I wont go :(

yea , I'm an international student from Iran. if u have any information regarding funding at BU I will be more than happy to hear them.

I don't have any information about funding. I remember in mid November 2009, I talked with the secretary on the phone and I recall asking her about funding and she said that it is very competitive. I think that they only offer a limited number of research assistant positions per year.

I applied for PhD but they recommended me for MA, how about u?

I contacted them once regarding the fund and they said they don’t have TA funding, and RA is indeed more competitive.

I applied for UMass Amherst and Buffalo too, still waiting for their decision.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey fellas, has anyone heard anything from Boston University's biostatistics program. There deadline was Dec. 15, 2009. They had close to three and a half months to make their decisions. What the hell is wrong with them?

There are two new acceptances in the database, but nothing else so far.

I received an email notice of recommendation for acceptance, but no information on funding as of right now.

I got accepted too, but it seems like I will not have funding for the first year. Maybe some sort of tuition waver, but no stipend.

GRE: 580verbal/780math/5 analytical

GPA: Undergrad: 3.2 overall but a 3.9 in my math minor from a big state school. Graduate: 3.8 M.S. in econometrics from a very well known state school.

I can't believe you didn't get funding with scores like that. Did you apply for the "biostatistics training grant"?

I can't believe you didn't get funding with scores like that. Did you apply for the "biostatistics training grant"?

I did apply for it. Once I had submitted my application, a few weeks later the graduate director sent me an email advising me to fill out an app for the training grant once she had seen my credentials. At that point, I thought I was good to go. But I guess they just didnt like something about my profile, or maybe they got much stronger applicants. Good luck to the rest of you.