Religion PhD in Islamic Studies?

NEAREAST

I'm looking to apply to PhD (and maybe MA) programs in religion this fall, but I'm worried about my qualifications.

I'll start out with some basic info on my academic background. Following 4 years of community college, where I earned a 3.0 gpa, I transferred to a top-50 public uni on the East coast and graduated with a BA (cum laude, senior thesis, etc.) in Middle East studies and minors in philosophy, history and religious studies; I ended up with a 3.6 undergraduate gpa there, and currently have a cumulative gpa (encompassing 7 years of study) of 3.5. Anyways, I woke up in my senior year, realized my passion, and now I'm working toward an MA in Islamic Studies at a seminary and have a 4.0 there.

On the upside, my GRE scores are good (760V/690Q) and I have excellent references and a ton of language preparation. While most of the language grades I earned were B+'s (c. 25%) and A-'s (c. 75%), I have 5.5 years of Arabic, 2 years each of Persian, Syriac, German and French and 1 year each of Hebrew, Latin and Greek. Additionally, I have published a couple articles in a peer reviewed journal and presented several conference papers; I'm also preparing an edited translation of a medieval Arabic text for publication. I've also worked as a medical ethics consultant for the past couple years, if that matters at all.

I'm looking to apply to graduate programs in Religion (the area of study being Islamic studies) at Harvard (MTS and/or PhD), Yale (MAR and/or PhD), UChicago (PhD), UPenn (MA and/or PhD), UMich (PhD), UC-Berkeley (PhD, Islamic Studies), UT (PhD, Islamic Studies) and Indiana U (PhD). I've contacted a few of the professors at these universities about my interest in their programs and several seem enthusiastic (a few even want to meet), but I'm not sure how much power they have in the admissions process.

Any commentary on my stats & interests, info on the admissions process or tips on getting into these programs would be much appreciated.

I'm looking to apply to PhD (and maybe MA) programs in religion this fall, but I'm worried about my qualifications.

I'll start out with some basic info on my academic background. Following 4 years of community college, where I earned a 3.0 gpa, I transferred to a top-50 public uni on the East coast and graduated with a BA (cum laude, senior thesis, etc.) in Middle East studies and minors in philosophy, history and religious studies; I ended up with a 3.6 undergraduate gpa there, and currently have a cumulative gpa (encompassing 7 years of study) of 3.5. Anyways, I woke up in my senior year, realized my passion, and now I'm working toward an MA in Islamic Studies at a seminary and have a 4.0 there.

On the upside, my GRE scores are good (760V/690Q) and I have excellent references and a ton of language preparation. While most of the language grades I earned were B+'s (c. 25%) and A-'s (c. 75%), I have 5.5 years of Arabic, 2 years each of Persian, Syriac, German and French and 1 year each of Hebrew, Latin and Greek. Additionally, I have published a couple articles in a peer reviewed journal and presented several conference papers; I'm also preparing an edited translation of a medieval Arabic text for publication. I've also worked as a medical ethics consultant for the past couple years, if that matters at all.

I'm looking to apply to graduate programs in Religion (the area of study being Islamic studies) at Harvard (MTS and/or PhD), Yale (MAR and/or PhD), UChicago (PhD), UPenn (MA and/or PhD), UMich (PhD), UC-Berkeley (PhD, Islamic Studies), UT (PhD, Islamic Studies) and Indiana U (PhD). I've contacted a few of the professors at these universities about my interest in their programs and several seem enthusiastic (a few even want to meet), but I'm not sure how much power they have in the admissions process.

Any commentary on my stats & interests, info on the admissions process or tips on getting into these programs would be much appreciated.

Let me just say that I'm tickled pink you aren't applying to early Christian programs (or at least the ones I'm applying to).

Your stats are impressive, your language prep is immense, and the fact that you already have published articles (and a book in progress) is huge. I think you have a great shot.

Maşallah, maşallah! Those are impressive languages and so forth. I think if you explain why you started at community college, why it took four years, how you continued to better yourself and improve throughout the whole process, emphasing your excellent research experience for the BA in the end in you're statement you'll be quite a competative candidate anywhere.

It does come down to match, however. Though there are other people "affiliated" with the department, applying to a place like Penn it comes down to how good of a match you are with Prof. Elias, who, by himself, is the Islamic studies section of the religious studies department. Prof. Elias is wonderful and knowledgeable and completely honest. He told me that, though my topic sounded cool, he just didn't have the expertise in my field (modern Turkey) to help me at all. That kind of honesty is rare. Chicago's religious department, on the otherhand, is TWO full scholars, so you could fit EITHER of their interests. While your numbers are compelling, make sure you are the right match. The two Islamists at Northwestern, for example, both concentrate on Islam in Africa. If you want to study something from the classical or medieval period, you'll be alright anywhere probably, but if you're interested in more modern work, especially outside the Arab world, look closely for departments with good matches. If you find a department where you are an excellent match, you could get in with lower numbers and skills, but the best numbers in the world it seems like won't get you into a department that can't advise you (which has been my problem).

Anyway, good luck, and I am curious about what aspect you want to look at.

P.S. What does an MA in Islamic Studies from a seminary mean? Like, you wish to be a mufti or a qadi? Or like you're a Christian and you want to do missionary work/interfaith dialogue in the Muslim world?

• 3 months later...

Very impressive qualifications. I'm actually looking to get a PhD in Religious Studies or possibly History focusing Islamic Studies as well though right now I have to get my MA from a NELC department.

I'm thinking your seminary education would be something like Hartford Seminary's program?

• 10 years later...