Success stories after reapplying?

hd397

This was my first year applying, and unfortunately it has ended rather unsuccessfully. I know it is pretty common for people to have to apply twice, and I only applied to very competitive research-oriented programs, because that's what I'm interested in. I applied to 12, got interviews at 2, was waitlisted as a high alternate at both, and was officially rejected this week at my top choice (the other is still pending, but honestly, not a great fit).

I'm in an ideal situation--I am a research assistant at a very prestigious university at a productive lab, and I have strong letter writers. I'll probably be in great shape next Fall, but right now, I'm pretty bummed about this application cycle not working out. I'm sure there are people who didn't make it this year who are feeling the same way, so I was hoping those of you who reapplied this year and had awesome results could share their success stories to cheer us all up, and remind everyone that there's always next year!

I really feel you on this post. This was me, last year.

I had good GRE scores, strong LOR, good match, 8 years of research experience with increasing responsibilities, clinical experience, publications, presentations, etc. Applied to 10, interviewed at 2, waitlisted, rejected. I was devastated. My PI even said "If they don't want someone like you, who DO they want?"

Here's what I did: retook the GRE, took the psych GRE (so I could have more application options), took a volunteer clinical opportunity, and really looked hard at the programs I was applying to. This year, I applied to 10 again, got 7 interviews, received offers from 5, one rejection post-interview and one waitlist. I'm starting in the fall and I'm thrilled. 

This process is a crapshoot. Things that SHOULD make sense don't seem to. Perseverance will get you far. Remember, you're a qualified applicant but so are most of the other people applying, too. Sometimes there is something in your application that could be improved (scores, match, interview skills) but sometimes it's also about who else was interviewing that cycle. 

Chin up! It happens. It's okay to feel bummed out now. Just remember, you still have a chance next time! <3 

Edited by mousepotato

3 hours ago, mousepotato said:

I really feel you on this post. This was me, last year.

I had good GRE scores, strong LOR, good match, 8 years of research experience with increasing responsibilities, clinical experience, publications, presentations, etc. Applied to 10, interviewed at 2, waitlisted, rejected. I was devastated. My PI even said "If they don't want someone like you, who DO they want?"

Here's what I did: retook the GRE, took the psych GRE (so I could have more application options), took a volunteer clinical opportunity, and really looked hard at the programs I was applying to. This year, I applied to 10 again, got 7 interviews, received offers from 5, one rejection post-interview and one waitlist. I'm starting in the fall and I'm thrilled. 

This process is a crapshoot. Things that SHOULD make sense don't seem to. Perseverance will get you far. Remember, you're a qualified applicant but so are most of the other people applying, too. Sometimes there is something in your application that could be improved (scores, match, interview skills) but sometimes it's also about who else was interviewing that cycle. 

Chin up! It happens. It's okay to feel bummed out now. Just remember, you still have a chance next time! <3 

Thank you for sharing this! I am so happy to hear it all worked out for you! I also definitely appreciate you sharing what you did to improve. My CV is thankfully already stronger than it was back in December--I had a paper that was in review get accepted, and I'm on a few more posters. I am considering retaking the GRE, but one of my letter writers offered to teach me how to analyze fMRI data, and given that there is only so much time left until the next cycle, he suggested that the latter would be a more effective thing to focus on. Taking the psych GRE is a good idea, though! I didn't apply to 2 schools because they required it, and it would be nice to not have to worry about it.

Despite all this, I do worry that I'll end up in the same position next year, since clinical psych programs are ultra-competitive. Stories like yours definitely help with my post-rejection pessimism! I wish you all the best, and I hope you love whichever program you choose!

Although I don't have my own success story for the second application cycle yet (still waiting, still hoping for the best), EVERYONE I know had a better application cycle in the second round. Someone in my lab applied to a program (her alma mater) and got an interview in the first cycle which ended up being a rejection. Then, she applied the second year to the same program and got an offer. Granted, she worked as an RA in that lab, but she did get many, many more interviews and ended up getting offers from almost all the schools at which she interviewed. My point is, although an unsuccessful application cycle may lead you to think that you are not enough, you were probably more than enough, but it was just bad place and bad time. I also think being more specific and refining your research interests would also be crucial.

Your CV and experience will be much, much better from what you described in the post above, @hd397. And I do think that you will have a much better chance next year with all those wonderful experiences and accomplishment by the time you apply next cycle.

Hope your next application cycle would be fruitful and successful!

15 hours ago, WillComeTrue said:

Although I don't have my own success story for the second application cycle yet (still waiting, still hoping for the best), EVERYONE I know had a better application cycle in the second round. Someone in my lab applied to a program (her alma mater) and got an interview in the first cycle which ended up being a rejection. Then, she applied the second year to the same program and got an offer. Granted, she worked as an RA in that lab, but she did get many, many more interviews and ended up getting offers from almost all the schools at which she interviewed. My point is, although an unsuccessful application cycle may lead you to think that you are not enough, you were probably more than enough, but it was just bad place and bad time. I also think being more specific and refining your research interests would also be crucial.

Your CV and experience will be much, much better from what you described in the post above, @hd397. And I do think that you will have a much better chance next year with all those wonderful experiences and accomplishment by the time you apply next cycle.

Hope your next application cycle would be fruitful and successful!

That is great to hear about the person from your lab! And I sincerely hope everything works out for you this round too!