GRE: RELIABLE Practice Tests

DrFaustus666

I took the (real) test five years ago and got 800-V and 680-Q with NO PREPARATION AT ALL.

I took the (real) test again a month ago and 640-V and 560-Q. Needless to say I was/am shocked and distressed. I've bought the Kaplan, Barron's, ETS, and Princeton Review books, and used Powerprep. My verbals are all 700+ with test materials, but my quantitative has been anywhere from 480 to 710. I am totally confused and bewildered.

DOES ANYBODY KNOW ANY RELIABLE --- EMPHASIS ON RELIABLE -- WAY TO PREDICT ONE'S SCORE BEFORE TAKING THE TEST?

Any help appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Decaf,

Sorry for the late reply. From what I have heard the actual ETS practice tests are the most accurate. Sounds like you have taken those using Powerprep? In any case, those scores should be a closer measurement as to what you'll score on the real test.

Well, obviously there are practice tests and all, but you must remember that the actual computer-based test is adaptive, so if you miss a couple of questions early on, you really hurt your score. That's why practice test baseline scores can be deceptive.

Thanks Pamphilia and International.

I guess I just have to be very very careful in the early part of the test. I've reviewed all my math till I'm absolutely sick of it and know all of those formulas and sneaky ETS schemes, as well as the recommendations of Kaplan, Princeton Review, and Barron's cold.

Again thanks for your help.

Thanks Pamphilia and International.

I guess I just have to be very very careful in the early part of the test. I've reviewed all my math till I'm absolutely sick of it and know all of those formulas and sneaky ETS schemes, as well as the recommendations of Kaplan, Princeton Review, and Barron's cold.

Again thanks for your help.

On the PowerPrep test, I got a 790 and 800 quant. On the Barron's tests, I got in the 600s on both computer tests. On the real GRE, I got a 780. My verbal scores were pretty consistent on the verbal for PowerPrep and Barron's. At least for someone who makes mistakes like me, the PowerPrep is more accurate at predicting the quantitative score than the others, considerably so. The powerprep scores are almost certainly going to be the most accurate because the others have to guess on algorithms much more, and I guess the Math algorithm is harder to guess (probably because it's questions are harder to categorize). Were your PowerPrep scores among your best scores? Good, then be careful, don't get bogged down on any one question, and don't worry too hard.