GRE help?

emylauren2794

I haven't taken the GRE yet and I'm very nervous to. I've been doing some practicing but it hasn't gone very well. I need scores above the 50th percentile in order to look good to most schools. Does anyone have any tips? It's been forever since I took the ACT and I'm really worried I won't do well.

How do I prepare?

Is there a specific site or app I can go to that'll help me prepare better?

Is around 140 or so for each section bad?

I'm not set to take it for a month or so but I'm still really nervous. Any tips would be greatly appreciated thanks guys :)

Hey, 

A 140 on both sections is very low, chances of making it into a good graduate school with those scores a truly limited. It might help to look up the scoring on ETS website. My first time around I scored a terrible 145V 148Q 5A. I made it into a Master of psych program because of great other factors (letters, research, experience, personal statement,etc)- But since I'm pursuing my PhD, I definitely need to take it again :( ! I am studying for it now and have found several resources that might help you. I'm a bad test taker due to anxiety and I didn't study the first time around. I am currently signed up with Magoosh, they have several plans but they are very affordable (I am doing the 6 month one and its 100$) compared to Manhattan prep courses and Kaplan courses that run well over 1000 dollars. They have dozens of Math, Verbal and practice questions. They also have study guides, a app for words (Learn them all- If you choose not to go with Magoosh- The app is still FREE). Also sign up with Quizlet, dozens of people post Barrons 2000 verbal words, you find millions of GRE words- its cool because you can test yourself, play games, etc. In addition to Magoosh math videos- look up Kahn academy math videos on youtube for more basics. Find what way you learn best and practice. My test anxiety was due to under prepping- So take the GRE practice test as much as you can. Practice the strategy of it. I forgot to mention I am using Manhattan Prep 5llB book- Its literally just practice questions. I am waiting for my semester to finish to study for 2 months - (Everyday 3hrs). It'll be a killer sacrifice but the opportunity to attend a fully funded PhD program is well worth it. There are dozens of practice questions online- use them because the GRE is timed so time yourself when you practice. Hope this helps!

Edited by Emely Moreta