cwasson

Hi Everyone, 

So I'm currently finishing up my masters degree in neuroscience at a small to medium sized institution in Ontario. I will be applying to my PhD in pharmacy at Waterloo and neuroscience as well as pharmacology McGill in October for January admission. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on some questions I have. 

1. Do you think it's better to do a PhD at Waterloo (which has a generally new program (2013) with a PI who is still somewhat new and seems pretty lax) or McGill (which is arguably the best university in Canada with a PI who is well established, with a huge lab - I'm just afraid I will fuck something up/I feel like i'd be the dumbest one in that environment; especially considering the grad program I am in now is not the highest ranked)

2. Based on the fact I have my MSc and have talked to these PIs do you think I can get into both schools? Both PIs said they would take me on, but I'm nervous my applications wont even get past the admission committees at McGill (sorry, this is such an annoying question, but I genuinely don't know) 

3. Is anyone currently at McGill or Waterloo? If so, could you give me your take on what it's like as a grad student? And maybe if you know someone in grad school, share their perspectives from what they've heard? 

4. Has anyone ever switched from behavioural research to molecular research. This is actually my biggest concern. My masters is in behavioural neuroscience but my PhD would be mostly molecular stuff. I have done things like PCR, Western Blots, cell culture on the side but nowhere near full time stuff. Is there a big learning curve?

Thanks for your help guys :)