Does this seem like a good sign?

mythsayer

I applied to U of Hawaii for an MFA in theatre with a concentration in playwriting. I emailed them Feb. 22 and asked when they were making decisions. I got a response that said they were going to start discussing the applications March 7 and from then till the end of the month, make decisions on admission and financial aid.

When I applied I had to fill out an application for graduate assistantships. If I got one, I would get at least a half tuition waiver (maybe full, if I got a half time position), plus a stipend, and possibly health insurance. Hawaii makes you tell them which assistantships you think you might be qualified for, so I just marked EVERYTHING down that I might POSSIBLY qualify for.

Examples: Acting Lecturer (I also act in musicals, as well as write, although I have never acted professionally); Children's Theatre Coordinator (I submitted a childrens' play and have worked with children in the past); Costume Shop Assistant (I sew Ren Faire and other period piece costumes). The teaching assistant position was also an option, and I marked it down as well. They all give the same amount of money/benefits, so it just depends on what they can offer you.

I just got an email from the Costume Shop. She wants to talk to me about my experience with sewing. The application I filled out specifically says that MFA design students are given priority for the costume shop assistantships.

So... my question is: does this sound like a good sign for admission? I haven't even heard that I was admitted.

It just seems strange to submit a potential candidate for an assistantship if I wasn't a strong candidate for admission. And then, on top of that, why would they submit a playwriting student for the job if there were other, more qualified design students.

Any thoughts?

Sewing, huh? That's a new one, as far as criteria for grad assistantships go. heh

Yeah. They're probably trying to 'feel you out,' see if you'll be good to work with, and that you know what you're talking about. I would be encouraged by a phone contact.

Yeah I know... at first I thought it was just a job. When I looked at the application again, though, I realized it was actually an assistantship, which would give me all the nice funding things they offer.

I think it's strange, too, that the costume shop offers assistantships, lol. I went to undergrad at a top theatre school, and I KNOW they didn't do anything like that for the grad students. But, hey... I'll take whatever I can get.