University of Toronto Anthro

anybody applying to Univ of Toronto Anthro? how are your applications? argh, im far from done. blink.gif

Are you Canadian? I'm an American and found out AFTER I applied to UofT last year that since funding is so tight they didn't accept any internationals. Evidently it was that the way the year before as well and I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same again.

Are you Canadian? I'm an American and found out AFTER I applied to UofT last year that since funding is so tight they didn't accept any internationals. Evidently it was that the way the year before as well and I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same again.

oh no! that sounds terrible and im beginning to get scared. did you contact professors before sending your application? may i know how you learned that no internationals were accepted last year and the previous year? was this information disclosed when you received your application results? thanks a lot, would appreciate more info :)

im not american, by the way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi! was told by the graduate coordinator of the anthro dept that they have only few places for internationals because of budget constraints. Another professor wrote that it would be helpful if internationals could bring in some funding from external sources. i am sorry i dont have information about other programs. hope this helps, though.

Edited by goukaku suru you ni

Hi! was told by the graduate coordinator of the anthro dept that they have only few places for internationals because of budget constraints. Another professor wrote that it would be helpful if internationals could bring in some funding from external sources. i am sorry i dont have information about other programs. hope this helps, though.

Thanks. :)

I was considering applying to Toronto as a backup until I read the posts about rejecting international applicants. Fortunately, I won't have to take the chance now after just receiving an offer for admission to my top choice.

Thanks. :)

I was considering applying to Toronto as a backup until I read the posts about rejecting international applicants. Fortunately, I won't have to take the chance now after just receiving an offer for admission to my top choice.

Do you mind sharing which university has offered you admission? If you would like to remain anonymous you may enter your result into the result page. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a U of T grad, not at anthro, but taking anthro courses.

While every unit has a quota on the number of international students (since it's a public funded institution - at least in theory), anthro is no different. But they do take on international students. I am taking courses with anthro students - first and second year PhDs - and at least a couple of them are not Canadian residents / citizens, so it's possible. You also should remember that international students are not eligible for many of the awards you can compete for, so it must be quite the financial burden (they do get the funding package, of course).

Speaking of U of T admissions, I'm curious to see who received that interview request via email. I wasn't aware that the department interviewed candidates (perhaps a new policy?) and am nervous that my mailbox is empty, at present :S

Edited by pomodoro

• 1 month later...

Nothing yet... I've asked for updates from the department, but haven't heard anything back. *sighs* Well, it looks like someone received word- there's a waited MA student on the results. To the poster: did you contact the department regarding admission or were they proactive with your results?

• 3 weeks later...