Questions about Masters Degrees in Psychology

Chicho Blanco

I've decided that the next step in my education and career development will be to pursue a Masters Degree in Psychology.  My academic background is an AAS in respiratory therapy.  I've been employed as a respiratory therapist for 6 years.  I am about to graduate from the University of Northern Iowa with a Bachelors Degree in Liberal Studies.  My concentrations are professional fields (mainly health psychology and psychology of the aging), humanities (I've studied a wide variety of cultures), and communications.  I have 18 hours of undergrad psychology credits, 12 of which are 300 level courses.  I had a 10 year gap in my education.  I went to college right out of high school, but was more concerned with partying and playing soccer.  I only went for 2 years before I dropped out.  My GPA was only a 2.6.  I have a 3.7 over my last 60 hours of credit and a cumulative of just over 3.0.  I'm not sure which masters degree I should pursue.  I've read that clinical psychology is extremely competitive.  I could get into a masters degree program, but I doubt I'd be competitive enough to get into a doctoral program.  I've read that there are a lot of jobs for school psychologists, but I'm concerned that the salary level might not make it financially viable enough to take on the addition debt that grad school would entail.  I'd love any advice/feedback about which direction someone with my background should take.  I've always found psychology interesting.  I recently took a Myers-Briggs test and psychologist was one of my suggested careers.

I would say take some time and think about where you would want to specialize (school vs clinical) and if it is something you enjoy, not because of what some test said. Are you happy with your current career? 

Do you have any kind of research experience? If not, you seriously need to find some (e.g., go to a research-oriented master's program). I heard that even reputable Psy.D. programs put more and more emphasis on research experience. Don't know about school psychology though.

You could take Myers-Briggs test just for fun, but it isn't something you should take seriously. And don't ever mention that test in the statement or interview for Ph.D. programs.

43 minutes ago, Plasticity said:

I would say take some time and think about where you would want to specialize (school vs clinical) and if it is something you enjoy, not because of what some test said. Are you happy with your current career? 

I enjoy working with my patients, but I'm close to maxing out what I can do in this field.  Respiratory is a lot more limited than nursing.  I feel I am ready for more advanced level work and responsibility.