Change of doctoral programs as an international student

Hi all,

I am an international student currently studying on a doctoral program in the northeast with a F-1 visa. I have been accepted to another doctoral program in the west. I want to know if any of you has transferred doctoral programs as international students, and how the visa process looked like for you. I know that my SEVIS needs to be transferred from one university to the other one. I was also told that if I leave the country I need to apply for another visa to get back to the US, which would mean to pay for another SEVIS. Though this maybe an annoyance, my main issue with doing this lies elsewhere. I need to present at a conference in early August, and my new doctoral program starts in late September. If I leave the country, and I apply and get a new F-1 visa, I won't be able to return to the US until one month before the start of my program, meaning late August, which would in turn make me miss the conference. Is there any way to keep my current visa, go back to my country, and return to the US without any issues? If not, is there anyway to get back to the US with my new F-1 visa, earlier than one month before the beginning of my program in late September, so I can present at the conference I mentioned?

This is something to consult with the ISO at your school about, to avoid making costly mistakes. From the way it sounds to me, you're going to have a problem and there is no way out of it. If you leave, you'll have to reenter with the new F-1, but then you have to wait until 30 days before the start of the program. Or you don't apply for your new F-1 and re-enter on the old one, but then whenever you leave the country next you'll have to take care of the visa situation, and I wouldn't be surprised if you also have trouble re-entering the US on your old F-1 given that you'll be about to switch schools, although I think at least technically if you are entering the US with a valid visa, I-20, and matching and valid SEVIS, you should be alright. But I think the SEVIS number might already be switched earlier and then there might be a mismatch and I have no idea what they'll do in that case. So it's a potential mess. You really need to get expert advice. My guess is that the answer is that unfortunately you have to either travel a lot earlier in the summer before the transfer procedure begins, or not at all. 

(And so I don't sound like I don't understand your pain, this is going to be the third year in a row that I can't make any summer plans or go home because of immigration complications. I expect next year to be the same. It sucks.)

Sorry to hear about these difficulties :( One of the things we try to make faculty more aware of at my school is that travel for conferences can be very tricky for some international students (45% of graduate students here are international!). 

I second fuzzylogician's suggestion to talk to your school's international student office (and also your new school's office). Also, I'm not an expert but here are some ideas to consider (and maybe run by the international offices):

1. The rule that you cannot enter more than 30 days before your program starts is not 100% strictly enforced. That is, I believe it's up to the discretion of the border agent to decide whether or not you can enter earlier than 30 days before the I-20 listed start date.

2. Your new school decides which start date to put on the I-20. For example, my school's start date is late-September, like your new school. However, graduate students are allowed to start as early as June (and just do research over the summer) if there is a professor willing to pay them. My school just adjusts the I-20 start date to be the actual date the student begins school so that they can enter earlier in the summer. Maybe there is a way for you to begin graduate studies a little bit earlier? Would you consider going right to the new grad school after your conference? (might save on flights back and forth between continents too, depending on where you live). If so, maybe you can plan to start your new school in mid-August then your I-20 can list a mid-August start date, allowing you to enter the US on F-1 with the new school for your conference.

3. If this is not possible, or if you want to go home after the conference then back to school in September, then are you from a country where you are able to enter the US on a tourist visa? If so, then apply for a tourist visa for the conference, return home, and then enter the US on F-1 status when you are ready to begin your graduate program!

Hope this is helpful!

Can't you attend the conference using a B1/B2 visa (business & tourism). This is the visa I used for attending conferences while studying in India, and they are valid for 10 years from date of issuance. If you present the conference invitation letter (I'm assuming you are presenting), you shouldn't have any problems getting a B1/B2 visa. After the conference, apply for F1 again. 

Thank you so much for all the answers. I really appreciate your help. 

I think that I will be asking about this to the International Student Office. I think there might be a way to re-enter with my old visa and my new SEVIS, but I would not risk it. 

I asked my department about the possibility of summer courses, but it seems that none are offered. I will ask about the possibility of changing the date, since I already know that it is really competitive to get housing on the city next to the school. 

Again, I appreciate all of your answers!

• 3 weeks later...

You can consider asking a co-author in you paper to give the presentation on your behalf. Or ask the new school to defer your admission to Spring, which may complicate your graduate funding status.