Include Works Cited in Writing Sample?

danielyamahoto

Hello, the requirement for my writing sample is 15 pages, and no more than 15. I honestly don't know--does that mean including Works Cited pages or not?

It's for comparative literature programs. If I include Works Cited, is it ok?

Thanks a lot.

Well, definitely include Works Cited. That's fundamental to a research paper. But as to whether it counts towards the 15 pages, I think there are two basic situations:

1. You have to upload the writing sample to the application website, and the site will not let you upload a document longer than 15 pages.

2. There is no page limit on the upload, OR, you snail-mail the paper/e-mail a PDF and thus also avoid a "technical" page limit. In this case, my current department (religion) allows 15 pages' worth of paper analysis, plus an attached 'Works Cited.' That seems to be common grading practice in classes, too--Works Cited is not counted towards the length of the paper.

Keep in mind that (in most cases) the idea is not to send a 15-page paper; it is to send a paper no longer than 15 pages. I bet admissions people enjoy the occasional (well-written) 8/10 pager.

Well, definitely include Works Cited. That's fundamental to a research paper. But as to whether it counts towards the 15 pages, I think there are two basic situations:

1. You have to upload the writing sample to the application website, and the site will not let you upload a document longer than 15 pages.

2. There is no page limit on the upload, OR, you snail-mail the paper/e-mail a PDF and thus also avoid a "technical" page limit. In this case, my current department (religion) allows 15 pages' worth of paper analysis, plus an attached 'Works Cited.' That seems to be common grading practice in classes, too--Works Cited is not counted towards the length of the paper.

Keep in mind that (in most cases) the idea is not to send a 15-page paper; it is to send a paper no longer than 15 pages. I bet admissions people enjoy the occasional (well-written) 8/10 pager.

Thanks! I have already included it in all my other applications, but suddenly I was thinking about it and became unsure. Don't know what came over me!

I'm sure that committees like to read short papers, but for comparative literature, I believe they would be more impressed with the full 15 pages.

• 1 year later...