Am I eligible for any engineering graduate programs?

Haines15

Question

I started my undergrad as a mechanical engineering major, but growing up I had always wanted to go to medical school. As I've gone through the process, I've decided that it isn't for me. Looking back I wish I had never transferred out of mechanical engineering which I had liked very much. I'm really hoping to not have to spend more years as an undergrad before being able to apply to masters programs, considering I'm one semester away from graduation. My hope is that there are programs that I might be eligible for that I would just be able to take prerequisites for once enrolled.

With my biochemistry degree I've taken biology, chemistry, organic chemistry, calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, physics, and physical chemistry.

4 answers to this question

Have you looked into going into biomedical engineering (half biology half engineering)? There are good masters programs in mechanical engineering that will accept you right into their program, and others that will accept you on the condition that you take some background courses (maybe 3-7 extra classes in your case). It just depends on the school in my experience from switching undergrad in mechanical to a masters in aerospace engineering. Just keep in mind that you are going to have to work hard to catch up on material in your graduate classes that your peers already know. Not sure what concentration your interested in, but they might require background courses in Fluid Mechanics, Thermodynamics, Materials, Heat Transfer, and Dynamic Systems & Controls for example.

That's actually exactly where my interests lie, I was just concerned I would have trouble getting into a mechanical engineering program without a technical degree.

On 4/7/2016 at 8:23 PM, Haines15 said:

That's actually exactly where my interests lie, I was just concerned I would have trouble getting into a mechanical engineering program without a technical degree.

I don't know anything about your application stats (GPA, GRE, research, or etc), but transferring from another science field is common and easy since you have all the physics and math classes taken (you basically have the first 2 years of a bachelor in engineering). I do think you should decide between a biomedical engineering and a mechanical engineering program (or at least pick a school with strengths in both so you can take electives from both). Not sure on biomedical engineering acceptance chances but mechanical engineering does take in lots of students. Take a look at the potential schools you like graduate catalog to make sure they meet your interests for your graduate classes.

On 4/9/2016 at 3:50 PM, Texan_Air said:

I don't know anything about your application stats (GPA, GRE, research, or etc), but transferring from another science field is common and easy since you have all the physics and math classes taken (you basically have the first 2 years of a bachelor in engineering). I do think you should decide between a biomedical engineering and a mechanical engineering program (or at least pick a school with strengths in both so you can take electives from both). Not sure on biomedical engineering acceptance chances but mechanical engineering does take in lots of students. Take a look at the potential schools you like graduate catalog to make sure they meet your interests for your graduate classes.

How far into Mech E did you make it before you switched? If you do end up finding it difficult to get into a Mech masters... you could always go back and take a couple extra basic classes, statics, dynamics, fluids, thermo, and maybe kinematics or strengths, and then reapply.