MPP: Harris vs CIR vs McCourt?

shadowzoid

The first thing you may notice is why do I have CIR up there? Well, I'm gonna be frank (well, as much as one can be online).

My goal in life has always to do research. However, I have since become disillusioned by academia for many reasons. Primarily, that I don't have the emotional strength to constantly fight for a TT and put my life on hold for so long, I highly value location for my quality of life, and I don't want to research minute things as I chase funding. That said, I have not completely eliminated any ambitions for academia, so I am trying to make a choice that maximizes my life's happiness and keeps options open. 

I decided on a MPP, and I will pursue careers in research at places like a think tank, government, or consulting. I know I can't be a PI, but so be it. What I want to learn is technical skills so I can run actual analysis for my lead researcher. As such, I applied to "quant" programs, both of which Harris and McCourt excel in. 

What I like about McCourt is that their core starts out strong. You need econ and stats to apply, so I won't just be doing basic things. And as an economics major (who didn't like proof math enough to do a PhD in econ), who also took 2 grad classes in statistics, I am worried I will just be rehashing the same material. McCourt's core (as I read them online) doesn't fully eliminate the risk that I will just relearn shit, but it does mitigate it. I also like the opportunity to do internships during the year in DC. What I like about Harris is that I love UChicago (alma mater - although I hate Chicage), that the cohort is smaller than GU, and that many of their instructors are actual academics, not simply politicians who are pulled in for prestige. 

Now for CIR, I sincerely enjoy theory and IPE, which CIR is great at. I also got a full ride and the masters is only one year. However, CIR makes me nervous about my career, since the program seems to be mainly geared for future PhD studies. That keeps one door more open (academia) than another (career), while the MPPs do vice-versa. But at least with an MPP, I have the option to do a Public Policy PhD after, which often requires an MPP anyway (deviating from the BA -> PhD route common in the US). 

I don't know what assumptions I am making incorrectly about life/career/research, or what I am really asking. Just throw out any advice you have or any personal experiences you have. Life is hard.