Yale application

mastermind1886

This is an extraordinarily specific question, but perhaps someone has had a similar experience. I am applying to Yale, and one of the questions reads as follows:

Please give the name(s) of the Yale faculty with whom you have communicated concerning your application.

One of my recommenders used to be a professor where I went to college, but is now a professor at Yale. Should I write him down, even though he isn't in the department to which I'm applying, nor will I be working with him, nor will he be reading my application?

I'm not applying to Yale, and I could be completely wrong with this, but I think they're asking who've you have contacted within your program of study. I.e., someone you might want to work with. I have a friend applying to PhD programs who had one school ask her this as well--she is a bit worried because she hadn't contacted anyone yet (as of Dec 1). You *could* list this other professor whom you know, but I don't think that's what they are getting at. The "concerning your application" is the key phrase.

If you haven't contacted anyone in the program that you would like to work with, I would advise that you just go ahead and email them (and ask the standard questions, such as their research interests/little info about you, and if they are taking on new advisees). Even if they don't reply- technically you still "contacted" them, and it might look bad if you haven't reached out to anyone.

Edited by alexis

I'm not applying to Yale, and I could be completely wrong with this, but I think they're asking who've you have contacted within your program of study. I.e., someone you might want to work with. I have a friend applying to PhD programs who had one school ask her this as well--she is a bit worried because she hadn't contacted anyone yet (as of Dec 1). You *could* list this other professor whom you know, but I don't think that's what they are getting at. The "concerning your application" is the key phrase.

If you haven't contacted anyone in the program that you would like to work with, I would advise that you just go ahead and email them (and ask the standard questions, such as their research interests/little info about you, and if they are taking on new advisees). Even if they don't reply- technically you still "contacted" them, and it might look bad if you haven't reached out to anyone.

I think you're dead on about the first part, I don't think you need to mention this person, but if you're going to feel weird not putting it down and it's going to bother you, then just throw it on there.

The second part though, I'd use caution about. The conventional wisdom about contacting professors you might want to work with varies widely among disciplines. For instance, I think it's really important in the sciences. If you're in the humanities, however, I'd be careful throwing emails out. I'm in English and have been told explicitly not to do this because it feels strange and forced and doesn't create a good impression in the minds of some professors. Obviously take this with a grain of salt, because I don't know any better than anyone else and in some disciplines it's a critical part of the application, in which case alexis's advice is spot on.

I'm applying to Yale too, so good luck I hope we all get in :)

The second part though, I'd use caution about. The conventional wisdom about contacting professors you might want to work with varies widely among disciplines. For instance, I think it's really important in the sciences. If you're in the humanities, however, I'd be careful throwing emails out. I'm in English and have been told explicitly not to do this because it feels strange and forced and doesn't create a good impression in the minds of some professors. Obviously take this with a grain of salt, because I don't know any better than anyone else and in some disciplines it's a critical part of the application, in which case alexis's advice is spot on.

Agreed, it's definitely program specific--I'm assuming, though, that this particular program likes you to contact professors, or it wouldn't ask the question. Maybe it would, but that would seem really weird to me. We would need to know the OP's program to know for sure though :)

I think you're dead on about the first part, I don't think you need to mention this person, but if you're going to feel weird not putting it down and it's going to bother you, then just throw it on there.

I'm applying to Yale too, so good luck I hope we all get in :)

I'm in English and I had a lot of success contacting professors (well, we'll see HOW much success really when admissions decisions are made). But I would be cautious about putting profs on the application who haven't contacted you back. I don't know...to me it just seems desperate at best and disingenuous at worst to say you've contacted (in other words, been in contact with) faculty when all you've done is emailed them, not managed to initiate a conversation. If those professors happen to sit on the adcomm, they might look at your application and say, "This person has contacted me? I don't know who this is."

Just throwing it out there. Still, take this as you will. I'm a measly applicant, too, so I'm just guessing in the dark here.

Edited by Pamphilia

I'm in English and I had a lot of success contacting professors (well, we'll see HOW much success really when admissions decisions are made). But I would be cautious about putting profs on the application who haven't contacted you back. I don't know...to me it just seems desperate at best and disingenuous at worst to say you've contacted (in other words, been in contact with) faculty when all you've done is emailed them, not managed to initiate a conversation. If those professors happen to sit on the adcomm, they might look at your application and say, "This person has contacted me? I don't know who this is."

Just throwing it out there. Still, take this as you will. I'm a measly applicant, too, so I'm just guessing in the dark here.

My old man is a sociologist at a small but respected department and says that for most of the applicants they admit, the first time first time they have direct contact with them is the application it self. Don't assume its a perquisite for admission. If you know you're a good fit for a place, you can still list faculty on your statement even if you've never contacted them. That'd probably be a better way to deal with it than faking it at the end. It shows you actually know the department's resources.

However, it is useful to let people know what you're thinking if you're maybe an iffy fit, so they can judge that themselves (I have a very specific project in mind combining two ill studied fields): a gentleman at Penn told me my project sounded great but he couldn't advise me, and then suggest some who could; a gentleman at Northwestern suggest I contact one of his colleague and apply anyway, but that I didn't seem like the ideal match for the department and that while my project was good, I might be passed over if there were equally qualified candidates who were better fits; a gentleman at Duke told me "Yes, apply right away, you're exactly the kind of student we want".... so I saved myself the money for the Penn, know I have to sell myself as a fit at Northwestern (I'm talking about some faculty who are good matches in other departments) and I get to feel good about Duke.

thanks for all the replies! I think I'm going to hold off on noting my recommender in the form; it does seem to be more about people you've been in touch with in the respective department.

what's interesting is this isn't a program specific question (I don't think?). why they ask, I don't know...

and, related, my two cents on contacting profs generally: I contacted probably less than ten people (the ones who I was really stoked to potentially work with) over this app. season, and received positive responses. In two circumstances, the professors said that they were taking positions at other schools, which was really helpful for deciding where to apply and what to say on my personal statement.

This is an extraordinarily specific question, but perhaps someone has had a similar experience. I am applying to Yale, and one of the questions reads as follows:

Please give the name(s) of the Yale faculty with whom you have communicated concerning your application.

One of my recommenders used to be a professor where I went to college, but is now a professor at Yale. Should I write him down, even though he isn't in the department to which I'm applying, nor will I be working with him, nor will he be reading my application?

I'm applying to Yale too (I'm in the Humanities). I'm pretty sure they want to know if you've talked to anyone in your department about the fact that you're considering applying, whether the school would be a good fit, etc. I'm guessing that admissions committees will talk to faculty who've been contacted if they like your application, but that's just speculation.

Personally, I contacted a prof. in my prospective department in October about my application, so I put his name down. That said, I didn't get the impression that it helped my application (rather, it just helped me decide whether or not to apply).

[edit] it's not that specific of a question -- it was on the Columbia app too, and probably is on a handful of others.

Edited by tenshi