Lakehead University HBSW

Sarah Erwin

hey! I'll ask my friend the specifics of how long she needed to rent and where to rent and post that info here soon. I kinda wanted to live in orillia even for that short time since it will be summer and near the lake and I can go exploring lol. But if nowhere will accept rents for 4-5 months, then maybe commuting can be a last resort (though I really wanna move out!)

From what I've heard you only have to be in Orillia until December and then most people return to their home communities for practicum. 

I actually looked in to residence for the summer.  Its something like $20 a day to live there for the summer but there's no kitchen or anything so I think that's out. I've been looking at places already and it's tough most places want 12 month leases. I'm hoping maybe to sublet off someone but as I am a bit older I don't really want to live in a house with tons of roommates! 

I'm in a tricky boat myself, as I have the added complication of a rescue dog that takes three days to warm up to every stranger, i.e. no roomies for me! This makes renting complicated already as some places don't like pets, but extra tricky because I don't want to deal with having to get him acquainted to roomies (and they probably don't want to deal with him ahaha as adorable as he is :-p).

If any if you end up renting in Barrie and are driving in, let me know if you'd be willing to let me pitch on gas and pick me up from the Barrie go-transit terminal? Haha. Just looking over my options! I am a non-driving Torontonian in the process of her licence, but I offer good conversation, gas money and coffee :)

With that said, I really wouldn't mind subletting my Toronto apartment and finding a place in Orillia until December if I can swing it. From what I read, december-april you still have one day on campus  however, so maybe it's even worth renting for 8-10 months? I dont know, confused *sigh*.

13 hours ago, Sam.E said:

hey! I'll ask my friend the specifics of how long she needed to rent and where to rent and post that info here soon. I kinda wanted to live in orillia even for that short time since it will be summer and near the lake and I can go exploring lol. But if nowhere will accept rents for 4-5 months, then maybe commuting can be a last resort (though I really wanna move out!)

Let me know if you do decide to commute, especially if you're driving! Be happy to pitch on gas from Mississauga (Coming from Toronto Midtown)

k so this is what my friend said:

you will have to be in Orillia from July to around December, like 4-5 times a week. Some summer courses only teach material straight from the textbook and don't take attendance so you don't necessarily have to be in class all the time. August and December are the months where you will have fewest classes so its not really worth it to rent there. If you can find a rental for 4 months, that would be ideal but most people could only find min 6 month up to 1 yr leases, and they were in like basements of residents' houses. She's from Hamilton so the commute would be over 2 hours for her, but she would recommend commuting if you can. Although she said the earliest class started around 8:30 am...which means having to leave your house super early which I will not be down for if its everyday for several months. She would usually drive home on the weekends too because she would get homesick so again, if you're not considering staying weekends, then commuting would be a better option. She also said to stay away from residences because they rip you off in terms of expense and some are just 1 room and a desk.

With that being said, I may just commute there or if I find a 4 month lease, I'll stay for a bit and commute the other months. But first thing I wanna do is visit the campus one day, maybe end of April, early May to get a feel of it and what it has to offer. Anyone down to do this?

20 hours ago, Sam.E said:

4 hours ago, Sam.E said:

k so this is what my friend said:

you will have to be in Orillia from July to around December, like 4-5 times a week. Some summer courses only teach material straight from the textbook and don't take attendance so you don't necessarily have to be in class all the time. August and December are the months where you will have fewest classes so its not really worth it to rent there. If you can find a rental for 4 months, that would be ideal but most people could only find min 6 month up to 1 yr leases, and they were in like basements of residents' houses. She's from Hamilton so the commute would be over 2 hours for her, but she would recommend commuting if you can. Although she said the earliest class started around 8:30 am...which means having to leave your house super early which I will not be down for if its everyday for several months. She would usually drive home on the weekends too because she would get homesick so again, if you're not considering staying weekends, then commuting would be a better option. She also said to stay away from residences because they rip you off in terms of expense and some are just 1 room and a desk.

With that being said, I may just commute there or if I find a 4 month lease, I'll stay for a bit and commute the other months. But first thing I wanna do is visit the campus one day, maybe end of April, early May to get a feel of it and what it has to offer. Anyone down to do this?

I'd be down! I think thats a good idea. 

On 4/15/2016 at 0:29 PM, emilynwt said:

Hey! Have either of you talked to past students about their overall experiences at the Orillia Campus? How the classes are? Profs? Practicum? 

my friend said that its not too difficult, she has a high 80, low 90 average right now. she didn't say much about the profs, just mentioned that they are understanding if you can't show up to class one day or something. the practicum can be done anywhere--can be local, within canada or international. you just have to arrange for an practicum on your own and have it approved by the school. she's overall happy she went, because she just wanted to do her MSW at Mac which only offers a 1 yr program. The only issue I'm having is that it starts in July which means that I will lose money and 2 months of work if I get accepted to an MSW before Sept. :(