Send updated transcripts?

alexis

I think this has been touched upon some (particularly for students whose records have improved, e.g.,with midterm grades), but I wasn't sure what the standard protocol was, or if it's important to contact all the schools to find out.

I should get my transcripts for the fall semester by around Christmas time. I was thinking of sending out an updated official transcript (fortunately my grad school sends them for free) to all my programs, even though some deadlines will have passed. They already have my current transcripts; my application is complete, I just starting thinking that if they don't look at the application until the new year, they might like current grades.

If they don't end up looking at them, it's not a big deal. I currently have a 3.98, and I expect to do quite well this semester too. It could only add that little additional information, just to say "FYI, I've also taken these grad courses that are relevant to the subject I'd be studying at your PhD program, and I did well in them." (Although the programs did already know they are in progress.) It's not a situation where I need my application to include these grades; it probably wouldn't have a huge bearing on my chances.

Does anyone know if it's a good or bad idea to send updated transcripts after the deadline?

Edited by alexis

If you currently have a 3.98, what does an updated transcript really add? .01? This seems to me like a waste of your time, although I can't really think of any reason not to do it if you really want to.

I'll be doing it precisely because I don't have a great GPA. And I took 21 hours this semester -- the remaining hours of my junior year and the first of my senior. I think it could help?

I'll be doing it precisely because I don't have a great GPA. And I took 21 hours this semester -- the remaining hours of my junior year and the first of my senior. I think it could help?

Yes, this makes more sense. The OP does not...

Edited by keylimekai

You're right, my concern is not the GPA issue. Just wondering if there is a standard unwritten rule about this (do most people send updated transcripts, or only those who need to in regards to increasing GPA etc, case-by-case basis, etc).

P.S. Not sure if it makes a difference, but I need all the help I can get...my GRE scores (specifically quant) are low for the programs I want to go to, so not sure if another semester of good grades--especially since I took the spring off (last grades are from Dec 08)--might help in some small way.

Edited by alexis