Bummed and Confused - How do I ask for info?

jenyoung

Hey,

So, I've taken the GRE's 3 times. The first time I was sick, and while I got a 5.5 on the analytical writing, I developed a fever during the test and got really bad scores. I accepted viewing the scores because I wasn't thinking straight, and I didn't know I could cancel them after the fact. This was stupid of me and I acknowledge it.

The second time I took it, I got 520s on both sections.

The third time I got a 640 on the verbal and a 400 on the Quantitative.

So questions:

1. Should I take the test again? Will that look bad My scores are *everywhere*. I think I'd almost be calmer if they had just been the same on both the good tests....

2. I feel like I really need a 1200 to be "safe". I am applying to media studies programs (for a list, see my profile). Am I over worried?

3. If I do take it again, how do I explain it and where do I explain it?

4. What I would love to do more than anything is email each program and see what they say. Ask them if they mind if I take it a fourth time, and perhaps more importantly, if they count the highest score in each category? How can I do this tactfully and not screw myself over?

I really appreciate the help. I am really happy I found these forums, I intend to be very active!

take care,

Jen

I'm not sure when your deadlines are, but it seems kind of late to be retaking it now. If I were in your shoes, I'd probably focus more on making the rest of my application as strong as possible.

Most of my apps are due in February. Only two were due now.

I do agree that I need to work my ass off on the rest of my app....I'll probably post my SOP when I get a moment.

Maybe its for my own piece of mind, but I still wish that I knew the specifics for each school. And whether or not it looks bad to take it a fourth time...

Thank you for your replies!

Jen

I agree with rogue. It's just a small piece of your application. Make sure the rest of your application is strong.

Hey,

I noticed that you are interested in new media and social movements. That is the area I am looking to get into - I am interested in new media and politics. Where all are you applying? What programs do you like most? I'd love to talk to someone else interested in the field.

Jen

Most of my apps are due in February. Only two were due now.

I do agree that I need to work my ass off on the rest of my app....I'll probably post my SOP when I get a moment.

Maybe its for my own piece of mind, but I still wish that I knew the specifics for each school. And whether or not it looks bad to take it a fourth time...

Thank you for your replies!

Jen

Some--not all-- schools take your best score for each section, rather than your best sitting. If you are really worried, email the schools, ask them if you should retake. They'll generally be honest and tell you the truth. I've had several schools tell me, "Your project sounds cool but we'd never let you in [because you're not a good match for us and we get to be selective]" This is without knowing my score, grades, or undergraduate institution. Ask them, it won't hurt.

Some--not all-- schools take your best score for each section, rather than your best sitting. If you are really worried, email the schools, ask them if you should retake. They'll generally be honest and tell you the truth. I've had several schools tell me, "Your project sounds cool but we'd never let you in [because you're not a good match for us and we get to be selective]" This is without knowing my score, grades, or undergraduate institution. Ask them, it won't hurt.

Ah,

Thank you! This is kind of what I needed to know - that it is ok to call/ email and ask. I was kind of worried that if I did so, they'd mark something next to my name somewhere, or remember me, and then it would also look bad. I don't know why I thought it but, that's what I thought.

thanks!

Jen