Liberal Arts Undergrad....How much is this going to hurt my application

Loosenyourtalktapes

I chose to go to a competitive liberal arts school for undergrad instead of an art school. After graduating with a BA in studio art instead of a BFA I wonder how much this will weaken my grad school apps. How common is it for non art school students to apply to MFA programs? How much did I shoot myself in the foot five years ago?

Dear LYTT,

Hey, that doesn't hurt you...if your artwork is good enough, it actually helps to have all the other experience that a liberal arts education gives you. When you are applying, you could mention the other directions of study you have taken and how that has influenced your artwork. I got an MFA from Yale they always seemed excited about students who went to liberal arts colleges, and people were accepted who had math degrees, biology degrees, etc.

I wouldn't worry about it, it's just your work that matters, along with your statement of purpose. If you are well-versed in some other subject, good.

Daisy

I'm in the same situation as you, and I would have to agree with Daisy (although I haven't been accepted anywhere yet). All of the faculty I've met at the programs I'm applying to have been very encouraging about my liberal arts degree. The general response seems to be that it indicates a willingness to learn and a general aptitude for critical thinking which is necessary for making good art.

Thanks for the responses. Daisy: What did you study in undergrad and how did that translate into your MFA program? I think that the hardest part is attempting to explain why a lot of my studio classes were unrelated to the field that I am applying for. My school simply did not offer a lot of the technical training that art schools do. For example our painting department only had two offered courses as compared to many art schools where one would major in that discipline. I realize that writing skills come into play but I wonder when looking to my transcript how I should explain my lack of training in certain fields. Hopefully my LORs will explain this. Should I be playing the LibArts card while writing about why I want an MFA?

Well, what did you study the most if you had such limited experience in the studio arts courses?

I might try to emphasize your liberal arts education even if your BA was in studio art, especially if you don't have much training there. Another thing is that there is usually somebody around Yale who went to the Brandeis post-bac, so some people are interested in "correcting" a non-BFA. But if your current artwork is really good, your training (or lack of) doesn't matter. I got a BFA from an art school, I was a painting major, so that isn't too interesting for you. Anyway, like I said, your current work is what matters, because anybody can be a great painter, you don't have to know how to make rabbit skin glue and paint with the dead palette or whatever. If your portfolio shows the work you think is indicative of your talent and your direction, that is the important thing. If you are applying to the painting program (which only looks at 16 slides) and you have paintings, sculptures, photos, and ceramic pots, then your portfolio will not be cohesive enough.

Does this help?

D.O.

quote name='Loosenyourtalktapes' date='09 December 2009 - 02:34 PM' timestamp='1260387287' post='90918']

Thanks for the responses. Daisy: What did you study in undergrad and how did that translate into your MFA program? I think that the hardest part is attempting to explain why a lot of my studio classes were unrelated to the field that I am applying for. My school simply did not offer a lot of the technical training that art schools do. For example our painting department only had two offered courses as compared to many art schools where one would major in that discipline. I realize that writing skills come into play but I wonder when looking to my transcript how I should explain my lack of training in certain fields. Hopefully my LORs will explain this. Should I be playing the LibArts card while writing about why I want an MFA?

• 3 weeks later...

I chose to go to a competitive liberal arts school for undergrad instead of an art school. After graduating with a BA in studio art instead of a BFA I wonder how much this will weaken my grad school apps. How common is it for non art school students to apply to MFA programs? How much did I shoot myself in the foot five years ago?

Unfortunately I do believe it may factor in. Though if you went to an OUTSTANDING(Ivy League)liberal arts school you may have to worry less, as they may see a highly intellectual person. Admissions panels can tend to see non BFA applicants as lacking a proper foundation wether it be technical or theoretical. I mean you will be up against applicants from top ungrad programs in the arts. What may happen is that they suggest you take a post bac session.

True Story: I had applied to a SAIC they offered me the post bac (I graduated from a liberal arts school). I was curious about it. I talked with a professor from the school, we reviewed my portfolio online. I was startled when s/he told me there was no need for me to do the post-bac program, as my work was developed enough for the MFA program. I was puzzled, why would they suggest the post-bac program if there was no need for it. S/he went on to explain that the admissions panel most likely saw that I hadn't gotten my BFA so i wasnt right just yet. FYI I did not try for the program, but had heard that someone who did later got in to Yale.

HAVING SAID THAT

If you have really mind blowing stuff the schools are going to want you. Just because you went through a liberal arts program that doesnt mean you will not get in anywhere. I think it means that you just have to try a harder if you want to get into the really competitive MFA programs. It just a little bit of catching up.

On another note. Look at the undergrad work from good art schools and look at the undergrad work from art program in liberal arts schools. There is a difference.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have really mind blowing stuff the schools are going to want you. Just because you went through a liberal arts program that doesnt mean you will not get in anywhere. I think it means that you just have to try a harder if you want to get into the really competitive MFA programs. It just a little bit of catching up.

On another note. Look at the undergrad work from good art schools and look at the undergrad work from art program in liberal arts schools. There is a difference.

layinwait:

Can I ask why you declined the SAIC post-bac program? I have a BA in English from a highly respected university, at which I minored in art and art history. I've completed a total of 6 and 10 courses in studio art and art history respectively. I am now thinking I'd like to pursue further studies in drawing and painting. I am hesitant to go for a post-bac (for financial reasons), so I am investigating all options.

• 2 weeks later...

I declined SAIC PostBac because i felt confident enough with my body work. When choosing to pay for an extra year of Gradschool (about the cost of the post bac) I thought it better to focus on working on my own and pay for a studio space. That said there is definitely a reason the post bac program exists and many can benefit from it. My question to you would be, how confident are you with your work? When you were in undergrad did you consider yourself to be a serious artist or consider your pieces to be serious. You really have to be your own judge as to whether your work is fully developed enough for grad school. For some taking the time to focus and develop a defined voice and keen eye, is necessary because they didnt have the chance in undergrad.

Having said that deadlines are done due.