First time to the East Coast, flying into New York, trying to get to Harvard and Yale

11Q13

I am relying on the collective genius of this forum to help get me out of this terrible pickle I've gotten myself into.

I've been working in the Middle East for the last year and I'm flying home for Christmas, the cheapest ticket home I could find allowed me an indefinite layover in NYC for the same price, so I figured I would give myself a few days to see some universities and NYC. I really didn't know what I was getting myself into...can you guys help me sort out the easiest way to get to Yale, Harvard, and back to NYC as cheap as possible? I arrive in NYC this Sunday (12/13) at JFK, and plan to stay that night in Brooklyn, my flight out is at 4:45pm on the 16th. Everything in between is fair game. Like I mentioned, I've never been to the East Coast so anything that would allow me to look around and enjoy the visit would be great. Specific bus/train times, prices, numbers, etc would really help.

So far it seems like my only options are to pay a ridiculous price for a rental car, or spend all day changing buses and trains to get from place to place in cities I've never been to in freezing weather. :(

Some facts:

I have people to stay with in Brooklyn and in Fairview, CT (apparently just a ways outside New Haven), no one in the Harvard area.

I am 24 which means I have to pay a penalty to rent a car (the cheapest I've seen for only 2 days is like $170)

I'm from LA so I'm not very public transportation savvy

I'm from LA and have been in the Middle East for a year so I'm not really cut out for temperature highs in the 30's...

I am at least as poor as you.

Help!

Metro North rail goes straight from Grand Central Station to New Haven for under $15 one way. See: http://mta.info/mnr/html/mnrmap.htm

Alternatively, you can take CT Limo straight from the airport to Yale, for a little over $100 I think. Depending on whether you're more scared of public transit or wasting money, either option is convenient.

From New Haven to Boston, I don't think there's anything nearly as cheap as the Metro North. Supposedly there's a new bus service for ~$20 from New Haven to Boston (http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/city-news/2009/09/21/briefly-private-bus-company-moves-ahead-plans-new-/), but that route may not be in service yet. The Acela Express Amtrak route goes from NYC to New Haven to Boston, but it will probably be pretty expensive. You might be able to find a bus service like CT Limo for New Haven to Boston, you'll just have to search.

If it was me I would rent a car. For me it would be less of a hassle. It can be difficult to get out of NYC, to get to the 95, mostly because of the traffic, but I've never had a problem other than the delay.

You can take the amtrack from Penn Station to the Back Bay Station (or South Station if you want to go downtown, but you said you were visiting Harvard in Cambridge). The price will vary depending upon the time of day you leave and return.

You also said you want to stop in New Haven, so that would be an added cost. You also have to consider local transportation.

I think the train would be just as, or more expensive, than renting a car. If you're not used to driving in winter weather, the train might be better.

I don't know anything about the bus, because I hate travelling by bus.

You're not completely SOL. I just did a quickie search on Amtrak (www.amtrak.com) for NY-New Haven-Boston and back and the total was $124. If you have a student ID or AAA membership you might be able to get a cheaper fare. That's not super cheap, but it's better than renting a car with the added bonus that you don't have to drive around any of those cities, and it will be faster than the commuter train. I grew up on the East Coast and all of those cities are a nightmare to drive through as far as I'm concerned. The train station in New Haven is pretty close to the Yale campus, , I don't think it's more than 5 or 6 blocks and I've walked it before. I don't know about Boston though. Be careful when if you book the train ticket to Boston because there are 4 different stations, and I'm not sure which one is closest to the Harvard campus. The train is the option that I would choose and it should get you to all of your destinations with plenty of time for your visits in between, plus the train stations in NY and New Haven are pretty nice. I think Penn Station is an experience worth having if you've never been there before. If you're savvy enough to fly, you should have no problem navigation train stations. Good luck!

Monday, December 14, 2009170 Northeast Regional (NYP - NHV) Depart:8:30 am, Monday, December 14, 2009

Arrive:10:06 am, Monday, December 14, 2009

• 1 Adult

$26.69

• 1 Reserved Coach Seat
  • Subtotal

$26.69

Arrive:11:13 am, Tuesday, December 15, 2009

• 1 Adult

$35.31

• 1 Reserved Coach Seat
    • Subtotal

$35.31

Wednesday, December 16, 200993 Northeast Regional (BOS - NYP) Depart:9:35 am, Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Arrive:1:50 pm, Wednesday, December 16, 2009

[*]1 Adult

$62.00

[*]1 Reserved Coach Seat

[*]Subtotal

$62.00

Terms & Conditions

Total

$124.00

Edited by shutterbug

It's going to be cheapest (if less efficient) to do New York-New Haven and New York-Boston rather than New Haven-Boston. If you do decide to go directly between Yale and Harvard, Greyhound is probably the best bet.

Bus rather than train is really your best option for New York-Boston. Bolt Bus (boltbus.com) is cheap and pretty good. They have wireless internet on board! Fares can be as low as $1, but more common is $15 one way.

Also check Greyhound and Chinatown bus (chinatown-bus.com). The latter is a bit sketchy, but cheap. (About the same as Bolt). Greyhound's fares are often competitive on this route as well. Buses come into South Station, same as the train. That's on the Red Line, same as Harvard. Boston's public transport is very easy to figure out. (Unlike NY, which I confess I find a bit overwhelming.)

I'm not posting times because they run so many of them every day. Pretty much you can leave at any time you want, within a couple of hours.

Edited by Febronia