FAFSA as a Graduate Student

decclynn

Hi!

I am 22 and will be starting a fully funded clinical PhD program this Fall. The past 4 years I filled out FAFSA as a not-married, dependent student with no income and provided my mother's tax information. I am slightly confused as to whether I should fill out FAFSA and if anything is different from when I filled it out throughout undergrad. Any information on this would be extremely helpful!

Is there any benefit to putting parent information? I have heard that it provides need-based grants/scholarships which I always received in undergrad, however, this is a fully funded program so I don't know if the same rules apply...?

No, there's no benefit in putting your parent's information, since you are considered independent on the FAFSA. If you fill out the FAFSA early and your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is low enough, you might be eligible for some federal or state grant funding (depending on the school).

Edited by psychsquirrel

I don't even know if FAFSA gave me the option to fill in parent information once I said I was dependent. As said above, there's no benefit and it's really not the school's business what your parents make.