Location of fit paragraph

'Fit paragraphs' often go at the end of personal statements, when the applicant steps back from their past experience and talks about their future goals and why they want to be accepted to program X. My question is: Is it a major error to start talking about future goals and fit in the introductory paragraph (in addition to the end, where it will probably more concrete and related to the rest of the statement)? Obviously, my question is general and there's no right answer and it always depends... but... what are your thoughts on this? Should the personal statement writer build credibility first by talking about her past experience before she discusses her future plans?

The "Due to my focus in X, I like your program cuz of reasons XYZ" can go near the beginning, and then be elaborated later. Obviously it doesn't work to go on at length about how your research interests align with the department when you haven't described them yet. But I do think it's a good idea to distribute the fit information as opposed to concentrating it in a transparently interchangeable paragraph at the end, and it's a good idea to mention the program early to get the adcom's attention.

The "Due to my focus in X, I like your program cuz of reasons XYZ" can go near the beginning, and then be elaborated later. Obviously it doesn't work to go on at length about how your research interests align with the department when you haven't described them yet. But I do think it's a good idea to distribute the fit information as opposed to concentrating it in a transparently interchangeable paragraph at the end, and it's a good idea to mention the program early to get the adcom's attention.

+1