Research Experience??

Mata09

I'm having trouble including information on what research experience I have.Of course I have plenty, but is there something in particular I should include???

Thanks.

Include where? Put everything on your cv and consider choosing 1-2 experiences and elaborating on them in your sop.

What to choose? That depends. Is there one experience that you enjoyed more than the others? that made you decide that academia was where you want to be? that you go a publication out of? that you work on with someone influential?

Research Experience: Describe your pertinent research experience, training and publications. For your Research Experience, please describe in your own words the overall goals, your role in the research project, whether you worked independently or as part of a group and the overall results that you obtained. For publications, please provide the complete reference information that would be included in a scientific journal such as Science, Nature or Cell.

ITs a separate question, not to be included in the sop. I graduated in May 09 and I have the basics in research experience i guess.

My suggestion is go into detail the 1 or 2 projects you were most involved in and/or resulted in publication. Maybe for a set up:

1st paragraph: technical goals of projects - how you were involved in making these goals - how you helped the group (or just yourself) achieve these goals - summary of results (was it successful? why or why not?) - citation if published

2nd paragraph: skills you specifically learned by being involved in research (specific lab techniques, but also working in a team, time management, etc) - summary of smaller research projects and the skills you acquired from them

My suggestion is go into detail the 1 or 2 projects you were most involved in and/or resulted in publication. Maybe for a set up:

1st paragraph: technical goals of projects - how you were involved in making these goals - how you helped the group (or just yourself) achieve these goals - summary of results (was it successful? why or why not?) - citation if published

2nd paragraph: skills you specifically learned by being involved in research (specific lab techniques, but also working in a team, time management, etc) - summary of smaller research projects and the skills you acquired from them

oh man i wish i went off these........i def tried to mention everything haha but for schoools i included a cv with i elaborated on teh ideas i got from teh projects and put the skills in the cv

From what I've been told many times, you shouldn't really flaunt your skills anywhere else but CV. You don't want them to see you as a technician - you want them to think of you as a scientist. Therefore, the best decision would be to state the hypothesis of your project briefly and say what you did (and not too specific - you don't want to bore them with the details of how many Westerns you can run in a day) to obtain results, hat results you ended up getting and what you learned from this exp. Hope this helps!