8 hours ago, misagald said:

@TK2Sorry to hear that! I'm sorry about the waiting. What is your plan of attack or what are you hoping for?

Thanks, it's not a big deal, really. The almostness is a frustrating, but I had pretty much made up my mind about applying next year under the assumption this year was just too early. (Didn't even have all my first year grades for my MA (and my BA is...not great), not to mention any work on my thesis, wrote my applications on a plane, submitted every single one with hours to the deadline, (actually blew one deadline and was deferred to next year,) struggled a bit to find letter writers, and I'm currently working on three articles and just got an abstract accepted at an international conference, almost none of which was in my applications in any way three months ago.)

Basically it kind of tells me what I sort of suspected, which is that my application isn't a catastrophe and I'm not deluded, but not quite there yet. I'm pretty pleased with how it all worked out, I guess (I didn't know anyone from my department who had even tried for a PhD abroad when I started this, much less top programs in the west and very much tried to prepare myself for across the board rejections), just frustrated with the more-waiting and more doubts (who knows who will be applying next year, right? Maybe I actually got really lucky this year. Maybe there won't be such a thing as international students in the US next year under Trump, who knows) and with now figuring out what to do with a gap year (well, half-gap - lets be honest here, my thesis will not be done by August if I don't have something pressing after it) that won't feel like I'm wasting time. Who knows. Life, eh. :huh:

Hello All,

I've also applied to the Urban Planning programs at the following schools:

• MIT
  • Harvard
  • Cambridge
  • UC Berkeley
  • Columbia
  • UCLA
  • NYU
  • LSE
  • UCL

I have gotten into all schools, but I haven't heard back from UCLA yet (strange). It's great to see so many people have gotten into similar programs!

My top three choices are between MIT (International Development concentration), Harvard (International Planning concentration), and Cambridge. I've been offered fellowships at both MIT and Harvard and an additional research assistantship at Harvard.

What I wanted to ask was whether someone could help me out with looking at the fundamental differences between Harvard and MIT's planning programs. Additionally, am I wrong to rule out Cambridge's planning program or is the program not up to par with the US ones?

Thanks again!

Is anyone still waiting on UC-Berkeley? I've heard back from all other programs to which I applied, and just find it strange that I haven't heard anything one way or another.  Thus far, acceptances to: MIT, UPenn, UMD, UIUC, UNC-Chapel Hill. Rejected from Princeton WWS. Leaning towards MIT or UIUC, but Berkeley would be a strong contender -- if I knew anything.

Edited by bjp
typo fix.

On 3/11/2017 at 8:18 AM, nghadan said:

Hello All,

I've also applied to the Urban Planning programs at the following schools:

• MIT
  • Harvard
  • Cambridge
  • UC Berkeley
  • Columbia
  • UCLA
  • NYU
  • LSE
  • UCL

I have gotten into all schools, but I haven't heard back from UCLA yet (strange). It's great to see so many people have gotten into similar programs!

My top three choices are between MIT (International Development concentration), Harvard (International Planning concentration), and Cambridge. I've been offered fellowships at both MIT and Harvard and an additional research assistantship at Harvard.

What I wanted to ask was whether someone could help me out with looking at the fundamental differences between Harvard and MIT's planning programs. Additionally, am I wrong to rule out Cambridge's planning program or is the program not up to par with the US ones?

Thanks again!

As far as I can tell, and from what I've read, Harvard's program tends to be a lot more focused on design. From this thread in cyburbia (http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=50641&page=2) which I think you posted on, it seems that the studio and urban design classes make up a large component of your core coursework at Harvard. Looking at the course coursework at the GSD, you seem to take 1 studio per semester (http://www.gsd.harvard.edu/urban-planning-design/master-in-urban-planning/degree-requirements/). At MIT, it's really up to you as to whether or not you want to take design classes.

I was looking at MIT's coursework and it seems to be very practical and technical - a lot of learning to work with software like GIS, arcGIS, data visualization techniques, and quantitative analysis. I didn't see much on the theory side, but I have also read that MIT's curriculum is extremely flexible. I'm leaning toward MIT because they offered the most funding. Either way, you'll also be able to cross-register between Harvard and MIT.

Also @Ngreen2 I applied to VTech but have not heard back.

Hey,

I've been rejected from DDes and accepted in MDes at the GSD. No news yet from MIT or Princeton or Columbia. GSD has offered a 10k award but the tuition fee is still way too much and I won't be able to afford it. Do you know of any sources of funding, any institution interested in supporting GSD students?

On 3/18/2017 at 0:22 AM, misagald said:

@Azad I shot you a PM on your Q.

What open houses is everyone going to?

For sure I'm visiting DUSP and will probably stop over to do parts of the GSD's as well.

Could you let me know what you think after vising the Open Houses? I'm an international student, so I won't be able to attend any.

Right now it's a very close call between GSD and DUSP, but GSD has been providing admitted students with a lot more attention... at least for me.

Edited by nghadan

Does anyone have any words of wisdom about Portland State or University of Minnesota MURP programs? Currently deciding between the two, while Colorado Denver as a close third.