Cover Letter?

tarski

Only one of the programs I'm applying to (thought I was done but not quite :P) asks for a cover letter.

The secretary said that if I send a cover letter, and most don't, that it would be an intro to myself and my interest in the program.

So, some worries:

(1) it's listed as something you need, she says that most don't submit it, but not whether this is good or bad.

(2) An intro to myself and my interest in the program... sounds very much like the introduction to my SOP and the fit portion of my SOP.

You should definitely send one in. The director of my top choice program told me that in the cover letter, which is required for that program, I could talk about any GRE or GPA concerns. It is mainly a letter stating that you are interested in their program. You can also include anything that you feel you did not have room for in your SOP. In sum, if they ask for one, you should most definitely send one in!

I created one as well for my programs, I included a cover page, with a brief introduction to myself, then used the rest of the page as an index so they knew what was included in my application with a brief explanation about the materials (context of my writing sample, etc.) I think it can definitely help, or at least facilitate receipt of your app materials.

Thanks for the replies so far.

I would have liked to use it as an index of materials included but probably won't- some of the materials were submitted online (the application system) and they want me to submit the rest of the materials as an email attachment to the secretary, so a list of what's in the 'envelope' is kind of.. eh.

I guess I will do it, but keep it brief, because I already have the substantive stuff in my SOP.

Edited by tarski

I sent a cover letter to one of the programs that I was applying to which required one. I got a quick response from a professor interested in me and I got an admission decision in two weeks! So if they say so, and it improves your chances, DO IT!