Dissertation Research Fellowships That Don't require ABD status 2017-2018

GradLife26

Hey everyone -- 

Does anyone know of dissertation research fellowships that don't require you to be ABD at the time of application? It seems like most major dissertation research fellowships for 2017-2018 are due this fall (i.e. by Nov. 1, 2016), and require you to be ABD before you apply. I won't take my exams until December at the earliest or until the Spring of my 3rd year. Since I do international research, I'm hoping to get one of these grants. Thanks for your suggestions!

I'll start with the one that I know...

1. Fulbright US Student Competition 

Actually, most fellowships require you to be ABD by the time you take the fellowship, not at time of application. I only reached ABD status last week, but I applied for a number of fellowships while I was pre-ABD. Some fellowships may want confirmation as to when you will be ABD, but there are plenty out there that you should be eligible for. :) 

Which fields specifically are you looking for? That may help put your list together. 

Edited by kyjin

Yes, it would be very helpful to know your field. I'm in Anthropology. Literally every fellowship I'm aware of to conduct dissertation research or fieldwork requires that you be ABD by the time you leave to conduct research. Read the fellowship announcements carefully. You should be able to (and most people do) write proposals fellowships throughout fall and spring of your 3rd year, with plans to advance to ABD later spring/summer/fall of 3rd-4th yr, and start your fieldwork shortly after. In the timelines you submit to grant agencies, just make sure you're not proposing to start your research before you plan to advance to candidacy. Something like "I plan to complete my exams and advance to candidacy in May 2017, shortly before this project's June 2017 start date" will suffice in the narratives. Your letter writers can confirm that you're on track to advance to candidacy by this time. 

Fieldwork fellowships that students in Anthropology commonly apply for include: Wenner-Gren Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship, NSF Doctoral Dissertation Research Improvement Grant, Fulbright-Hays, Fulbright IIE, Inter-American Foundation Grassroots Fellowship Program (for work in the Americas), American Institute of Indian Studies Fellowship (for work in India), Social Science Research Council, there are more I'm certain...

Fulbright does not require all but dissertation status, but that's only for research taking place outside of the US.