Oxford MPhil - Modern Middle Eastern Studies

Hi All, 

I was recently accepted to Oxford's MA in Modern Middle Eastern Studies. I got my BA in Northeast America and my absolute preference would be to receive an American PhD in either Comparative Literature or Middle Eastern Studies. My question is whether going abroad is better or worse than staying stateside if my end goal is to get an American PhD? I received offers from American MA programs in MES/NES as well. My gut feeling is that I should stay in the states if I want an American PhD. Are the British standards any different? Is American BA to British MA to American PhD harder than just staying in America for the entire course? I have to say I applied to Oxford on a whim because it sounded nice but was not prepared to really delve in the thought of a "foreign" even if western education. 

Thanks! 

Well, in the United States, one can go directly into a PhD program after undergrad. You really don't have to do a master's if you know for fact you're doing a PhD, but you can if you want to. If you decide to do a master's first, I don't think you should be concerned about your competitiveness for US PhD programs with a degree from a university that is as widely respected in American academia as Oxford...especially considering the research intensive nature of Oxford MPhils. It shows that you'd be a great fit at any elite PhD program. 

Edited by TheLifeofPablo

• 2 years later...

Hi, I just came across this post and I know it's been three years, but I'm wondering if you ended up going with Oxford. I'm in the exact same situation--American student, intending to do a PhD in the longrun. Oxford, SOAS, and NYU--Masters in Middle Eastern Studies. Was wondering if you could give some advice, thank you so much!