quick question about mentioning profs in SOP

eucalyptus

How many profs is too many to mention your SOP? At one of my programs, I'm mentioning all 6 members of the Developmental Psychology program. Two of them are potential advisors (I'd really love a co-advising arrangement), and I'd like to do a project with either of another two. The final two profs teach and research on areas that are clearly related and would be the "broadening of my foundational knowledge". Is this total overkill? Should I cut the mention of the final two profs so they don't think I'm just trying to name everyone in the program?

Its a delicate balance to find--mentioning enough names so that you indicate your flexibility as a student (and give yourself ample wiggle-room if several of those faculty don't have the funding to take another student), but not so many that your research interests appear to be too broad. I mentioned 3-5 faculty for each school I applied to, and mentioned that I was looking forward to rotating through labs before getting settled.