Application Qs with sad GRE scores

DUcky

Hi All,

I am sad and confused with my GRE scores,scored 410 V and 640 Q 3.0 AW. I know these scores are just average or below average, but I have good research experience and a couple of publications.I want to apply to drug discovery (my area of research) programs at Northwestern,Einstein Medicine, UWashington with the above scores. Am i just wasting my money and the committee's time with sending my applications in? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks.

is your GPA strong? from what I know, if one of the stats is not strong but another one is and res exp and LORs are good, then you have a good chance. But if both "objective" parameters are not strong, then it might be a problem. Here is one useful Ppt application on the matter - http://http://www.gradschool.purdue.edu/gradexpo/students/download/expo2009/Beyond%20the%20GPA%20and%20GRE%20PowerPoint.ppt

@Neuronerd86: My GPA is about 3.3 and as far as LORs go, my research advisors said they would certainly give good ones.I was fretting the whole entire time since I got my "amazing GRE score", I guess I shall breathe easy only once after I get an admit. Thanks for your suggestions folks.

• 3 weeks later...

@Neuronerd86: My GPA is about 3.3 and as far as LORs go, my research advisors said they would certainly give good ones.I was fretting the whole entire time since I got my "amazing GRE score", I guess I shall breathe easy only once after I get an admit. Thanks for your suggestions folks.

My GREs, GPA, and research credentials were about the same as yours. Go ahead and apply. But also hurry up and retake the GREs ASAP. Even if the scores don't make it by the deadline, they will likely make it before the apps are reviewed. As soon as you know your verbal and quants at the end of the test (provided at least one of them, preferably verbal, improves) shoot an e-mail or call to the program administrator so she can make a note on the file of the upcoming official score.

This is how I did it.

Initial scores: 660Q, 400V, 3.5(?)A

On the 2nd try my math score got much worse, but my verbal and essay both impoved, with my verbal making it up to 560 (close to 80th percentile?)

I got into my "reach" school, while getting rejected from the other 2 I applied to.

Not bad, eh?

Edited by themadscientist