Applying for Fall 2010 Music Megathread

Timothy Vallier

Has your status been updated on the website since your last post? Mine hasn't, but someone posted on the results board that they received a musicology rejection via the website yesterday...I don't know if my no news is a good or bad sign!

Has anyone else received any news from Columbia?

My status remains unchanged.

Saw someone else posted their acceptance to Duke. Anyone on this thread?

BTW, as Duke was my "first-choice" school, I accepted their offer yesterday and am gearing up for my move to Durham!

Saw someone else posted their acceptance to Duke. Anyone on this thread?

BTW, as Duke was my "first-choice" school, I accepted their offer yesterday and am gearing up for my move to Durham!

I do not see any other Duke Music results when I search. Where do you see this? Congrats on Duke by the way! Did you happen to hear from Harvard?

Edited by Timothy Vallier

I do not see any other Duke Music results when I search. Where do you see this? Congrats on Duke by the way! Did you happen to hear from Harvard?

Yea.... ignore that. Sorry. I saw a string of new responses and I guess grouped my post in. Didn't look at the date, just top of the screen... fail.

Was accepted to UCSD and IU.

No mail or call from Harvard yet, but since I put Duke higher on my personal list, I went ahead and accepted their offer.

Good luck everyone and sorry for the bad info.

Congrats, composer.

Just curious, when did you hear from UCSD? I haven't heard a peep from them and am anxiously awaiting their reply

I got a phone call from a faculty member this past weekend. Still no hard copy documents or email...

bad luck, musico - at least you've got your Columbia place. Nice to hear that the results are coming through though - I don't expect I'll get mine till next week.

And yes, Yale is being a bloomin' pain in the arse.... I've got a good mind to call them up later today just to shoo them on a bit 'check the status of decisions'.

Edited by yehk

bit of an update on Yale -

called the Dept of Music up, they said that the decision should be on the website; if not, call the graduate office of admissions. (the results aren't up on the website yet.)

called up graduate office - they said that results should be 'up in a few days time'.

I assume from this that decisions have actually been made, but are being processed by the graduate office so i guess it just takes time to put decisions online.

Cool.

Yale is out !

I am rejected !

(btw, I got admitted into SUNY Stony Brook's Cultural Studies and Comp. Lit program, PhD... sometimes I wonder: are the Music Department "really" interested in Musicians???? Seems not.... Other departments are... a lot!! We, musicians, should think about other options: looks like we are more valued in non-musical and as competitive world...)

Good Luck everybody!

Hey everyone, I have been admitted to the Eastman School of Music as a PhD candidate, no word on financial aid/fellowship yet though. Regardless of what amount they decide to offer me, I have decided to attend, which means I will almost certainly be turning down my acceptances at Buffalo and at Temple University. I am also waiting to hear from CCM (I interviewed in early Feb.), but I will be turning that down as well if I am made an offer. Hopefully this will open up some spots for other folks!

Thanks and good luck to everyone,

- Jason

Congrats Jason!

Just an update, I spoke to my guy at Columbia yesterday and found out I was rejected - 130 applicants and 3 acceptances, and an extraordinarily competitive pool this year.

It's been a good run - I'd be curious to hear where (if anywhere) everyone will be going? I'm likely headed to UC Davis.

Good luck to all!

It's awfully quiet in this thread and waiting to hear back from schools.

Any updates from Columbia, Temple, or Stony Brook?

I e-mailed my POI at Stony Brook and have not heard back.

I called Temple and spoke to the admissions guy who said Dr. Wright was still wrapping up composition admits and the decisions would be most likely be snail mailed...soon.

The only info I have on Columbia is that results post saying that the decision has been made, but no real contact from Columbia.

Stony Brook's website says mid March, and Columbia seems to be pretty adherent to 3-15 emails.

UCSD had one round of accepts, they hope to have all decisions by the end of this week or next.

Last year I got reject emails from both Columbia and Stony Brook on 3/15.

Anyone hear from NYU-GSAS?

Any word from funding at Buffalo? I was accepted and they haven't answered my email query on funding.

Any word from funding at Buffalo? I was accepted and they haven't answered my email query on funding.

Wait-listed at NYU (heard about 2.5 weeks ago). Annoying, since it was my safety.

I haven't personally heard anything from NYU-GSAS, but a friend of mine (PhD theory/composition) received an offer from them about 3 weeks ago. I heard they're only taking 2 people, and my guess is that all offers have already been made.

Hi Adam,

I was accepted at Buffalo as well, I sent an email to David Felder who said there was very little funding available, but I have not received any official word on it. I will not be attending as I received an assistantship at Eastman, if I were you I would contact David Felder directly.

- Jason