Do students on an i-20 (F-1 status) need to file income tax return in the US?

I just received an e-mail from my school saying that I need to fill out an online form which affirms my financial obligations to the school. However, it requires an SSN or ITIN number. I'm a Canadian citizen, so I do not have one of these. It gives me the option to check "I am a foreign national/nonresident alien and do not have a Social Security number or individual taxpayer identification number. I do not plan to file an income tax return in the U.S." or "I do not wish to provide my taxpayer identification number at this time. I understand that I may be subject to an IRS fine of $50 for failure to do so. I further understand that the IRS will not be able to use the Form 1098-T filed to confirm my eligibility for certain education tax benefits without my taxpayer identification number." I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do, but I need to fill out this form or I will not be eligible to sign up for classes. I have absolutely no knowledge of how taxes work, so I don't even know if I'm supposed to file them or not. 

I've e-mailed the International Students Office, once over a week ago for another matter, and once again last night, and have not received any replies. I would call but they are only open during weekdays and I am going away for a week, so if they don't get back to me I will reluctantly have to call while on vacation. In the meantime, I was wondering if anybody knows anything about this.

While the best thing to do is to physically visit your International Students Office, and the first option sounds a little weird, it seems to be appropriate to your situation. Solely because you do not have an SSN, and you won't have one until you get your SS card for on-campus employment.

If you have an income within the U.S. during the year before (presumably year 2015) then you're supposed to file income tax return this year. I don't require remember what is the supposed outcome should you have an income in the U.S. as an international student and failed to file a tax return. I did forget to file my tax return twice in my first two years in the U.S. while working part-time on campus.

Most scholarships and fellowships are taxable, so yes, if you receive one of those, you need to file income tax. Ditto if you fund your studies by working e.g. as a TA or RA. If your country of origin has a tax treaty with the US, you will get your taxes back in some measure, but you still need to file with the IRS. Typically a non-resident alien files for an SSN after arriving in the US, with the help of their host institution.

I would get the International Office people on the phone. It should be a fairly straightforward question that won't take up more than 5 minutes of your vacation time.

51 minutes ago, aberrant said:

While the best thing to do is to physically visit your International Students Office, and the first option sounds a little weird, it seems to be appropriate to your situation. Solely because you do not have an SSN, and you won't have one until you get your SS card for on-campus employment.

If you have an income within the U.S. during the year before (presumably year 2015) then you're supposed to file income tax return this year. I don't require remember what is the supposed outcome should you have an income in the U.S. as an international student and failed to file a tax return. I did forget to file my tax return twice in my first two years in the U.S. while working part-time on campus.

Unfortunately I can't really visit again until I move down there, and by then it will be too late, so I guess I might have to call about it.

1 minute ago, ExponentialDecay said:

Most scholarships and fellowships are taxable, so yes, if you receive one of those, you need to file income tax. Ditto if you fund your studies by working e.g. as a TA or RA. If your country of origin has a tax treaty with the US, you will get your taxes back in some measure, but you still need to file with the IRS. Typically a non-resident alien files for an SSN after arriving in the US, with the help of their host institution.

I would get the International Office people on the phone. It should be a fairly straightforward question that won't take up more than 5 minutes of your vacation time.

Guess that's what I'm going to have to do. Hopefully it will be simple enough, thanks!

Yes, you have to file taxes in the US. Even if your income is not taxable, you're probably still safer filing, to avoid any problems with the IRS. In fact, your school might withhold taxes from your income even if you are exempt and you will have to get them back as a refund. In some cases you'll be able to get a SSN when you move and in others maybe not, and if that is the case you'll ask for a ITIN when you file your taxes for the first time. Either way, you are most definitely not the first student to ever be in this situation and, despite being difficult, your school most definitely does know how to deal with this. It might be easiest to talk with someone on the phone to figure this out. 

I second what fuzzy said. That first option "I am a foreign national/nonresident alien and do not have a Social Security number or individual taxpayer identification number. I do not plan to file an income tax return in the U.S." is not really for students. I think it's for cases where you are not residing in the US and you get paid by a US entity for some small service or get reimbursed for a trip etc. 

1 hour ago, ShogunT said:

Visit your Payroll Services ASAP. They are responsible for handling tax in your school. Why did you apply for a SSN already?

Alright, I will look into that, thanks. I haven't applied for a SSN, I thought that was something I was given once I was in the U.S. I was just told I need to fill out this form in an automated email and have not been given any information regarding taxes or how I'm supposed to fill this out. 

You can call them (Payroll in your school) in work days if you are currently on vacation. They are CPAs/professionals who get paid to consult or answer your questions on tax matters. I know tax return can be daunting at times. Good luck!

My university told us that anyone on an F-1 visa is required to file taxes, even if none are owed. If you don't have and are ineligible for a SSN, you should apply for an ITIN.