Silly GRE Question

Anonymous Coward

I hope I don't sound like too much of a tool here...

Hi all, so I took the GRE, got 800s on the Q and V, but a 4.5 on the AW. This board had almost convinced me that this score would not be a big deal. But then today, I went to U Maryland's website and found out that their hard cutoffs were 550V, 650Q, 4.5 AW. Obviously, I'm past that hurdle, but seeing that a 4.5 AW is the hard cutoff, I couldn't help but worrying. This means that at least some programs weigh the AW score heavily, and that in those cases my score is marginally poor!

Also, my undergrad GPA, while generally not horrendous isn't that great (3.7), and included lots of peaks and troughs (A+'s and a couple C's). Considering my GRE score has the same topography, will schools see me as erratic?

Edited by Anonymous Coward

You know, I think you are going to be okay. You scored HIGH on your GRE. You did better then 90 percent of all people taking the exam. You GPA is really great. You know, not all people can have a 3.99. A 3.7 is a pretty decent GPA. I think you are going to fine. Why programs are you applying to?

Hi all, so I took the GRE, got 800s on the Q and V, but a 4.5 on the AW. This board had almost convinced me that this score would not be a big deal. But then today, I went to U Maryland's website and found out that their hard cutoffs were 550V, 650Q, 4.5 AW. Obviously, I'm past that hurdle, but seeing that a 4.5 AW is the hard cutoff, I couldn't help but worrying. This means that at least some programs weigh the AW score heavily, and that in those cases my score is marginally poor!

Also, my undergrad GPA, while generally not horrendous isn't that great (3.7), and included lots of peaks and troughs (A+'s and a couple C's). Considering my GRE score has the same topography, will schools see me as erratic?

Seriously?

You have nothing to worry about. Your GPA and your GRE will not be what keeps you out of a decent program.

Your username kinda suits you ;) The thing is, with a 1600 GRE, 4.5 AWA (which is decent enough) and a 3.7 GPA, you have nothing to worry about, unless you have zero research experience, zero publications, zero projects undertaken, etc. If all you've got is your GRE score and your GPA, you probably won't get into a very good PhD program..but if you have research experience comparable to other applicants, I don't see why you should even post such a query here when people have a lot more to worry about than you, give your extremely high GRE score and a gpa that is better than good. I'm guessing you needed some ego boosting comments here which I think we all obliged you with.

• 3 weeks later...

yeah, what the fuck?

"my 1600 just isn't good enough."

well buddy, you'll never be good enough. you should probably just be a chiropractor.

LOL

My cousin in law is in some for profit chiropractic medicine program and goes on and on about how she's going to be a doctor. And how the medical field is conspired against her field which is why her program isn't accredited. And how chiropractic medicine can cure autism.

....yep.