Acess to the Japan Times Archives (digital, online)

time_consume_me

I was wondering if someone might offer me their assistance in accessing the Japan Times archive.  This is a relatively new archive (found here) that only a small number of American universities have purchased access to.

Please PM me if you feel generous enough to offer me your library account -- if, of course, your library is one of the few who has subscribed (Yale, Princeton, University of Iowa all seem to have).

A shot in the dark, I know. Worth a short nonetheless!

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

WHAT?!

I mean, I am generous enough but your request could get people into trouble. Libraries pay for rights of access and if anyone discovers that someone has been giving you their account, they and the library could get into serious legal problems for granting access for people outside their subscription. In most cases, only students, faculty and staff have this kind of access. We could discuss for hours about whether this is right or wrong and how scholarship has not democratic access to resources. Yet, for the time being, I would be more careful about requests like this. 

An alternative is to request scans through your InterLibrary Loan office. You wouldn't have access to roam around but if you know what issue you are looking for, you can get a scanned/physical copy. I've had MANY resources I don't have access to scanned through ILL. Also, if this source is the basis of your research you may ask your library to purchase privileges. Finally, since you are in Montreal you may look at other libraries that may have access from campus. In my library, we have visitor stations from where patrons can access our electronic resources. It is not ideal because of course you want to be at home in your pjs doing research, but it is better than nothing and certainly better than asking for somebody's library account.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 2016-06-07 at 9:57 AM, AP said:

WHAT?!

I mean, I am generous enough but your request could get people into trouble. Libraries pay for rights of access and if anyone discovers that someone has been giving you their account, they and the library could get into serious legal problems for granting access for people outside their subscription. In most cases, only students, faculty and staff have this kind of access. We could discuss for hours about whether this is right or wrong and how scholarship has not democratic access to resources. Yet, for the time being, I would be more careful about requests like this. 

An alternative is to request scans through your InterLibrary Loan office. You wouldn't have access to roam around but if you know what issue you are looking for, you can get a scanned/physical copy. I've had MANY resources I don't have access to scanned through ILL. Also, if this source is the basis of your research you may ask your library to purchase privileges. Finally, since you are in Montreal you may look at other libraries that may have access from campus. In my library, we have visitor stations from where patrons can access our electronic resources. It is not ideal because of course you want to be at home in your pjs doing research, but it is better than nothing and certainly better than asking for somebody's library account.  

There seem to be only about 10 schools in all of North America that have paid for access as of yet. None of them are in Montreal.

I am done in a few months and it would take farrr too long to have my library begin the process of purchasing access right now.

And you are right about ILL - the problem is, citations I have as entry points are old as hell and vague at best. I would need to browse.

Anyway, thought I would throw a line out.