application prep for biology PhD for a non-standard student

DanniBoBanni

hi all!  I'm looking for some advice on applying for PhD programs in biology for a non-standard student.  I've got two bachelors (a BS in biology focused on genetic, molecular, and cellular bio, and a BHS in medical laboratory science), two semesters of grad school at the masters level (didn't complete the degree), and have worked in a clinical lab for about three years now.  I didn't complete the masters because 1) I was offered my current full time position in the clinical lab and I needed the money, and 2) we don't live in an area where a graduate degree would get me anywhere and we were not ready to uproot.  but that's changed now, and we likely are uprooting in the next several months and I would like to pursue my graduate career again.

obviously I can't do anything to change my GPA or my (nonexistent) undergraduate research experience, but I will have to retake the GRE, and, since we are moving, I will have the opportunity to make any career changes necessary to enhance my application.

any advice as far as anything else I can do to make my application look halfway decent?  thanks in advance :) 

Edited by DanniBoBanni

What's your GPA? What kind of work do you do? From what kind of school did you do your undergrad? Are you an international student? How well did you do on the GRE? What kind of schools are you considering? Who will be writing your rec letters? 

The advice I can provide depends on all of those factors.  I think you leaving grad school for personal reasons won't hurt you that much if you can effectively explain it in your SOP. 

1 hour ago, Bioenchilada said:

What's your GPA? What kind of work do you do? From what kind of school did you do your undergrad? Are you an international student? How well did you do on the GRE? What kind of schools are you considering? Who will be writing your rec letters? 

The advice I can provide depends on all of those factors.  I think you leaving grad school for personal reasons won't hurt you that much if you can effectively explain it in your SOP. 

I don't have my exact GPAs with me at the moment, but my first undergrad (BS in bio) was not good, around a 2.9, explainable by my switching majors for 3 semesters, then switching back to bio (I think my major GPA was around 3.3ish but I'd have to double check).   second undergrad was much higher, 3.7 or 3.8, but coursework wasn't as relevant (clinical chemistry, hematology, mostly diagnostic lab related).  graduate level GPA was for sure a 3.64.

I work in a trauma center blood bank.  mostly patient and product testing, but diagnostic, not research.  for a little over a year I've been in charge of quality audits, which involves a lot of digging around in patient's charts data collection, so I could probably spin that in a helpful manner.

first undergrad was at Northern Kentucky Univ, small state school with no graduate program, but their bio program was heavily research prep.  I didn't take advantage of the opportunity to do undergrad research because I was broke and stupid.  second undergrad was an accelerated certification-based bachelors at Bellarmine, a local private school.  my one year of grad school was at Univ. of Louisville.

I'm currently looking at several programs at Univ. of Washington.  my program search has to be location-based since, if/when we relocate, it will be to Seattle for my husband's career.  but my interests are pretty broad, so there are 6-7 different programs there that I'm interested in.

letters of recommendation could be a challenge.  I did work on research for a year at UofL, so I could include my PI.  we parted on good terms, and I think she would be excited for me to be returning to grad school, so she would likely write a good letter.  would also use my main instructor from Bellarmine, since she also ended up being my first boss when I started in blood banking, so she knows me well both academically and professionally.  assuming that three is still the magic number for letters, my third would probably be whoever I worked for when we first move to Seattle; my plan right now is to try to find a job in a research lab to gain more research experience before applying.

Edited by DanniBoBanni

Hmm, I wouldn't know what to tell you then. The University of Washington is a pretty competitive school and the Ph.D admissions process is very tough. I wouldn't discourage you to apply for a Ph.D, but I think your best bet would be to finish a Master's. Nothing can really fix your GPA, and competitive applicants tend to have an undergrad GPA 3.5+. They also typically have consistent research experience that exceeds 2 years for top 20 schools, and 3 good letters from people they conducted research with. The best thing you could do, if you decide to apply to Ph.D programs, would be to score the highest GRE you can, both the general AND the subject test.

19 minutes ago, Bioenchilada said:

Hmm, I wouldn't know what to tell you then. The University of Washington is a pretty competitive school and the Ph.D admissions process is very tough. I wouldn't discourage you to apply for a Ph.D, but I think your best bet would be to finish a Master's. Nothing can really fix your GPA, and competitive applicants tend to have an undergrad GPA 3.5+. They also typically have consistent research experience that exceeds 2 years for top 20 schools, and 3 good letters from people they conducted research with. The best thing you could do, if you decide to apply to Ph.D programs, would be to score the highest GRE you can, both the general AND the subject test.

11 minutes ago, Bioenchilada said:

Your research is also not typically what biology Ph.D programs look for; BUT, I'm certain that with your experience you could land a tech position that'll better prepare you for grad school.

thanks for your input!  I would love to go back and finish my masters, but unfortunately I don't think we will be here long enough for me to go back to UofL, and there aren't really many masters options at UW.  there's a masters in bioengineering, but I'm DEFINITELY not a good candidate for engineering school, and there are a few masters programs in epidemiology, but I don't know how research-focused those would be and if they would be beneficial to my ultimate goal of a PhD.  (if anyone has any input on that, I'd super appreciate it!!)  the other concern I have is monetary; I've already got massive debt from my year and a half at a private school and I would really prefer not to take on anymore unless absolutely necessary.

and I'm glad to hear I'm at least somewhat on the right track, because I definitely plan to try to get a research tech position!  thanks again!

@DanniBoBanni At this point, you need to look for a job in biotech. Narrow down the exact research that interests you, then get a paid position in that area. If your goal is UW, then get a job in Seattle as a lab tech. This will give you solid experience and a great LOR. After a year or two of this, apply for a PhD. Apply broadly and be prepared to move again. With solid LORs and proper research experience, you will get into decent programs. 

Finally, do not go for a Master's at this point. A degree in epidemiology will not make you more attractive to research PhD programs. Get a job in biotech, then apply to several PhD programs when you and your PI feel like it is the right time.