Research interests in SOP

Is it very important to state your research interests in SOP? 

Should I even mention professor`s (POI) name?

My previous PhD position was terminated after 1 year, should I talk about that in m SOP?

Edited by virtua

2 hours ago, virtua said:

Is it very important to state your research interests in SOP? 

Yes. 

Should I even mention professor`s (POI) name?

There are different opinions on this, but it is one obvious way to demonstrate fit. I think it's important to mention particular professors who could be your advisors. In some fields, it's also customary to contact them ahead of time to verify that they will agree to take you as a student. (You'll need to ask someone about norms in your field,)

My previous PhD position was terminated after 1 year, should I talk about that in m SOP?

Yes, *briefly* (and 100% positively and without throwing around blame and accusations). It would raise a red flag and you need to provide an explanation. As discussed in other posts, you would benefit from having a LOR writer discuss this in their letter, be it your former advisor (preferably) or someone else (if your advisor will not write a good letter).