Going from a good to a great GRE score?

Clinpsyc01

I'm retaking the GRE after scoring a 164V and 158Q last year (retaking because of a subpar writing score). Since I have to write it again, I might as well try to improve my verbal and quant scores. I've taken a few practice tests recently, and my scores are similar to my score on the actual test- usually above 165 for verbal, and 158-161 for quantitative. Ideally, I'd like to score in the high 160s on verbal, and 162 or 163 for quantitative, but I feel like I'm at a bit of a standstill. I've improved a lot from when I first started studying, but it's hard to raise my scores by those last few points. 

I feel like some of my mistakes on the quantitative section come from not having a really strong foundation in basic math. Are there any resources that you'd recommend for that? What kinds of math are most common on the GRE? I have Manhattan's 5 lb book, but I don't know if that's enough. 

I haven't studied for the verbal section beyond doing some practice tests. My vocabulary is good, but there are usually a couple of words that I don't know, so I guess it wouldn't hurt to learn some words. Are there any word lists that seem to be the best? 

Thanks in advance! 

There's no need to try to improve beyond 164V and 158Q. Maybe you could benefit from getting above 160Q if you plan on going into a field that uses a lot of math, but 164v/158q is not "just good." I'm pretty sure that's almost 90th percentile for both tests..

Edited by BFreeman03

I agree - a deeper math foundation will help your quant score. The trouble is, GRE prep books, by nature, don't provide deep foundation. And a deep foundation by nature takes times.

However, I bet you can improve your quant significantly by.

1. Doing all ETS questions from scratch in their books and tests

2. Determining, for each question, what concept(s) are tested and the optimal method to solve

3. Defining what can be learned from the question (if anything) to apply to future, similar questions.

I might also suggest working through CliffsNotes Math for Standardized Tests, as well as the ETS Math Review to strengthen foundation - they are quicker and better than most other options.

For verbal, I wouldn't spend much time on vocab. Instead, analyze ETS questions - why are wrong answers wrong? What justifies the right answer(s)? What can be learned about the rules the test plays by from this questions?

And of course, take the ETS practice tests and probably a few other ones as well.