Visiting schools when applying for the MA ...

mmsw86

I visited schools after I was accepted, and I ended up changing my mind about which school I wanted to attend (I was 90% certain before I visited that I wanted to go to school Y, but after visiting I was much more enthusiastic about school Z). I'm really glad that I was able to visit, because it enabled me to make a much more informed decision.

Of course, this was after admission--I didn't have the resources available to visit during the application process. My guess would be that it depends a little on the program--if it's the kind of program where you're applying to work with a specific professor or several specific professors (like a Ph.D.), then it might be really helpful to talk to them and prove that you'll be a good fit for their program. If it's a more general MA, it might not make as much of a difference.

Edited by starfish

• 2 months later...

I've received a very generous financial offer from a terminal master's program, and the faculty have invited me to visit. Doing so would cost about $400 (after reimbursement). At the moment, I'm still waiting to receive decisions from 3 schools and financial information from a fourth. Do I make arrangements to visit this program before hearing from the others? Better to hold onto my money for now and visit only if the program remains a top choice after I've heard from the others?