chances for lesser ranked schools

Yo! I've been reading this forum for a while gaining from everyone else's questions and contribution but now that I've just taken the GRE I have my own question. Would anyone have any suggestions about what kind of schools I can aim for without retaking the GRE? My stats are: GPA--3.98; GRE 148 quantitative (I know ;/) 168 verbal, the writing score is not yet available. I have some decent writing samples but nothing published and I've been working on getting to know some professors (in philosophy and political science) who can give me good recommendations. I plan to spend part of this summer as well as the fall semester working with a professor on a project about women voters. My goals are to enter a political theory program where I can study the ideas behind international systems like the EU or the UN and I'm applying to Johns Hopkins, UCRiverside, UMD College Park, and Ohio State. My goals aren't too ambitious so I don't mind applying to lower schools, mostly I want a Phd so that I can teach at community colleges. Anyways, sorry for the somewhat disorganized format and thanks in advance.

I'll spare you the typical answers, "you'll never get a job unless you go to Harvard" and "retake the GRE until you get a good score, regardless of cost", etc.

Short answer, yes, you can get into lower ranked programs with lower scores by showing an ability to do research through experience and writing samples. But you have to have something in your application to offset the low score. 

I have similar numbers and research interests. (Contemporary Theory, American Political Development, IR). I got into some lower ranked PhD programs last round, even one decently ranked program (UC Boulder), but ultimately decided to do an MA first and try again. I would apply to some full funding MA programs as a backup, so that you can establish a graduate GPA and some CV lines if you don't get into a PhD program the first round.

The main thing you will want to look into is quantitative methods requirements in Graduate Student Handbooks on departmental websites. Departmental websites tend to be full of little or no actual information, so go straight for the handbook download if you can find it. Johns Hopkins and Northwestern (no/little quant for Theory majors at NW) are both quality schools with less on that front, though they require more in the way of language and other methods (full second language at JH). That can give you some indication of how much your lower quant score will hurt you during the process. If even theory majors have to take an entire semester of stats and quant, you will probably struggle and get little out of that entire semester. I would especially double check this for UMD and Ohio State. My UG adviser went to UMD and he has not heard good things about how it has changed for qualitative folks since then. Generally be wary of schools in Midwestern states if you are a more theory/qualitative centered person as well.

Try to find schools from a wide variety of rankings which seem like a good fit for you methodologically and apply for them.

Hope this helps. 

Thanks a lot Rockerika, your input is very helpful and I'll definitely look into applying for MA (incidentally, where could I find some that are fully funded? Most of the ones I have seen seem to be terminal or don't offer funding). I was hoping that my undergraduate GPA would be proof enough of ability but I understand that considering the competition a masters and research experience wouldn't hurt. Thanks again.

1) Based on your description, you have a really strong profile with just a single flaw in the form of an utterly abysmal quant score (and probably the largest discrepancy I've ever seen between quant and verbal).  You should consider a retake.  Bump up that quant score and you'd be competitive at top programs.

2) A 3.98 GPA goes a long way towards offsetting the quant score, especially if it's from a well-regarded university.

3) With good letters and statements, I don't think the quant score will wreck your chances at any of the places you list.  From what I hear, it's genuinely true that most places actually review the full file and don't use rigid cutoffs on GRE or GPA.   

4) As general advice, I say it's better to shoot high and miss than shoot low.  As specific advice, I've seen a number of students over the years come into grad programs saying that they want to get a non-academic job, teach at a community college, etc.  Even if that's truly what you want, graduate school socializes you into wanting an R1 academic job.  A lot of people change their aspirations and become frustrated about choices they made earlier on that have made that path more difficult.  So think carefully about what your goals really are.

@Atypicalgirl I don't have much in the way of experience to share on the MA front, but I will share what I experienced.

I only applied to three as backup plans for getting some grad experience before trying again: University of Montana, Idaho State, and Portland State. I'd recommend you the program here at UM, but the funding here has been tight more recently due to budget problems and students aren't getting a full second year of funding to finish after being given their first year. Check out schools that don't have a PhD program, they tend to fund their MA students better because they have to in order to keep the program going.

Idaho State waited until almost September to offer me funding otherwise I probably would have gone there. It wasn't a horrible package for the cost of living there... 12k/yr I think.

I wouldn't bother with Portland State, unless someone else can share a better experience on the funding front. I was offered a $3000/yr stipend when I got in there. I don't know if that's standard, but there's no way you can live in Portland, OR on $3k/yr. I can barely do Missoula on $9k/yr.

Thanks all. I know that it's better to leave more doors open by applying to the best schools possible but I'm really hesitant to retake the GRE considering how expensive it and grad school applications are. When I took some practice tests I was scoring 160 verbal and 154 in quantitative so I'm not sure what happened. Would retaking it and earning a 154 be worth the time and trouble or is that score only marginally better?

Thanks again.