So whats the admissions equation really look like!?

I am a first time PhD applicant that is applying to one medieval studies program (Cornell) and 11 other English programs. I have terrible GRE scores, and BOY do I mean terrible. I received a 5.5 (92%) for the AW part, but everything else is shit. I saw some other posts that look something like LOR>Writing Sample>SOP>CV (Research/Presentations Sections) >GRE>GRE but I doubt this is true in all cases. Basically, I have asked every admissions committee if the GRE is the weed out factor and everyone has responded with a "no, we view the application holistically...." and that generic response. But does anyone have any other view of the application process? I have great LOR one from Karma Lochrie and am well versed in Middle English and Old French. I just am worried they wont even look at my app because of my GRE scores. I also have work experience, as I have just completed my two year commitment with Teach For America. Just anxious and I hate waiting...haha

I am a first time PhD applicant that is applying to one medieval studies program (Cornell) and 11 other English programs. I have terrible GRE scores, and BOY do I mean terrible. I received a 5.5 (92%) for the AW part, but everything else is shit. I saw some other posts that look something like LOR>Writing Sample>SOP>CV (Research/Presentations Sections) >GRE>GRE but I doubt this is true in all cases. Basically, I have asked every admissions committee if the GRE is the weed out factor and everyone has responded with a "no, we view the application holistically...." and that generic response. But does anyone have any other view of the application process? I have great LOR one from Karma Lochrie and am well versed in Middle English and Old French. I just am worried they wont even look at my app because of my GRE scores. I also have work experience, as I have just completed my two year commitment with Teach For America. Just anxious and I hate waiting...haha

Are your scores <1100?

If they are less than 1100, it really depends on the school. Other than that you just have to wait and see how things turn out.

Edited by peppermint.beatnik

From what I can tell it REALLY depends on who gets their hands on your application first. I've had people who were on committees tell me that they don't even look at the GRE score until after reading everything else, to looking at it for preliminary "weeding" purposes, to people who have told me that having impressive scores is a must for top notch programs.

It's basically a gamble, I think.

I absolutely don't think you should despair though. Nobody knows for sure, and it sounds as though there are a lot of impressive things about your application that would offset GREs. And professors can generally go back and rescue you from the pile of applications you don't want to be in if they skim your application and feel that they like you and want to take a second look.

I have my own theories about what matters, but I won't be able to tell you if they're true until after I find out how I do this round (cue nausea!)