In at IUB SPEA

derekwang14

I was admitted to the MPA of Indiana University this morning.

Anyone care to share any thoughts about the program? It ranked 2nd in US News Top Public Affairs Programs. IMHO, that might be a little overrated. Your two cents?

First of, congratulations!

Where do you want to work long term? My only potential concern is that their graduates may be limited geographically. I ran into this when I looked at Minnesota and Wisconsin. I just looked at the Indiana website very quickly, but I was not able to find any statistics about the placement of their graduates (sector, location, sample of jobs, etc) so it may be worthwhile to call and ask those type of questions.

IMO, the rankings are not that particularly influential to employers. However, it may be useful to gauge that yourself. You can always set up informational interviews with employers in your desired field and talk to them about it. In my experience, they have been very helpful and candid.

Edited by dagger

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone care to share any thoughts about the program? It ranked 2nd in US News Top Public Affairs Programs. IMHO, that might be a little overrated. Your two cents?

Holy crap - did you apply for early admission??

Congrats :)

• 3 weeks later...

I've heard really good things about the program. How long did it take them to get back to you after you applied. I am waiting to hear from them. Last year it appears that it only took them about a week to send out a decision but when I visited they said that it took around two weeks. What has your experience been?

I don't know much about the MPA program but SPEA and Bloomington are great. I lived in Bloomington for 8 years. My dad also went/taught at SPEA.

#2 overall can't be right. Maybe for some specializations, but definitely not overall. US News Rankings are generally crap.

I don't know much about the MPA program but SPEA and Bloomington are great. I lived in Bloomington for 8 years. My dad also went/taught at SPEA.

#2 overall can't be right. Maybe for some specializations, but definitely not overall. US News Rankings are generally crap.

In fact I think US News got it right here. They have some of the best placements and our extremely highly regarded in the policy world. I should add that this is the second oldest policy school in the country. You can still apply, the deadline is Feb 1.

In fact I think US News got it right here. They have some of the best placements and our extremely highly regarded in the policy world. I should add that this is the second oldest policy school in the country. You can still apply, the deadline is Feb 1.

The admission commitee is pretty fast. I was admitted in less than two weeks after my application was complete.

The admission commitee is pretty fast. I was admitted in less than two weeks after my application was complete.

A few questions regarding this:

Does a fast decision usually mean good or bad news?

Also, do adcomms absolutely not look at applications until ALL materials are in (ie, LOR's). What if you sent in everything but LOR's months ago, LOR's were submitted two weeks ago, and a decision has been reached?