Bringing UK electronics to the U.S.A.

I have a few kitchen electronics that I'd like to bring with me to the U.S.A. They include a very expensive digital cooker and a decent digital coffee maker. I know I will need to get a 240v -> 120v voltage converter in order to use these 240v electornics in the U.S.A. I would like to hear from people who have done this. Was it safe?

On 12/23/2009 at 2:16 PM, peanuttheanthro said:

I have a few kitchen electronics that I'd like to bring with me to the U.S.A. They include a very expensive digital cooker and a decent digital coffee maker. I know I will need to get a 240v -> 120v voltage converter in order to use these 240v electornics in the U.S.A. I would like to hear from people who have done this. Was it safe?

You can do it. The step up convertor isn't really the kind of thing you want in the kitchen though. If the devices are universal (i.e. 110-240V), which is unlikely but possible, you don't need a convertor just an adaptor for the socket. You'd be surprised how cheap things are in the US though, I'd safe some space and just rebuy them.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just buy them here. I am an American who moved to the UK and left everything at home while I was studying there (a year). It worked out fine. When I moved back, I either donated or gave away the things I had bought to other students. You could blow out an outlet pretty easily. It is actually easier to do that in the US than it is in the UK according to a friend of mine who is an electrical engineer. Things are cheap. A coffee maker is like $30.00-$50.00.