MIT - HST/MEMP Program

toiletpaper

Hi Guys,

I was just wondering if anyone has the stats on HST's MEMP program at MIT. For example, how many prospectives are interviewed and of those how many freshman are enrolled each year. And also of those how many are international. (I'm a Canadian btw). I'm really really interested in the program with its unique curriculum, but after browsing through the forum, I don't feel so confident at all. Would be nice if those that got in MEMP could provide their profile when they were applying.

Any info's greatly appreciated! Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hey I visited MIT this winter to get more information about HST's MEMP program ( I applied). I talked to one of the heads of admissions. He gave me this information:

-300 Applicants each year (50 of which are totally unqualified and immediately rejected, whatever that means coming from an MIT professor)

-50 invited to interview (maybe less, I forget the exact number; maybe he said 30)

-about 10 accepted

Basically he said the HST program was incredibly selective and that they routinely reject the best applicants that apply and that you shouldn't feel bad about yourself if you don't get in. I got the sense that it was a bit of a crapshoot. When it comes down to 50 stellar applicants, the choices may end up becoming somewhat arbitrary. I don't know how many foreign applicants they accept. Best of luck.

Best,

Matt

Thanks mattchurgin for the info!

10 people get accepted a year...wow...that just killed pretty much what hopes I had left. I guess MEMP's just that tough huh. :(

don't despair. i know someone who got into one of the ivy league program and turned out to be a complete flop(has no research acumen. has been passed from one lab to the other. this person got into the program with stellar credentials. was a scholar here and there, in fact got into harvard's program. well, my friend told me that another person got in with low gpa but strong undergrad research including publishing and conference presentations. that person is now a model research grad student.

i think most phd programs are now learning that the strongest indicator of success is not necessarily high gpas.